A MAX for hunting?

Sheldon, Come on down, got alot of room in WI. DC, See, Now I got to get ahold of some A-MAX slugs for my 708, not just for hunting, but I'm curious to see If I can get some good groups with them, I think I have a pretty good set-up, HS stock, Lupy 3.5x-10x, trigger set @1.90lbs, anybody got a good powder recommendation for the 708 with the AMAX? Should be good out to about 600, huh. Thanks, DC. J

Well Dachs,

You have some crazy laws there. Sounds like you live in California. You sure you live in Norway!

Get a long range rig, lots of bullets and take a vacation to the US. You can miss to your hearts delight.

You certainly don't want me hunting with you in Norway or we may both spend some time in jail!

Do these laws include small game such as rabbits, squirrels, game birds, etc?

PS, stick to target shootin! You get to shoot more anyhow.

Shelden

Come on down.

We will adopt you especially if you bring the cheese and wine (not French though) with you.

You must have a longrange rifle too. Made in the USA.

Later
DC
wink.gif
wink.gif

4mesh064 wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Well Dachs,

You have some crazy laws there. Sounds like you live in California. You sure you live in Norway!

Get a long range rig, lots of bullets and take a vacation to the US. You can miss to your hearts delight.

You certainly don't want me hunting with you in Norway or we may both spend some time in jail!

Do these laws include small game such as rabbits, squirrels, game birds, etc?

PS, stick to target shootin! You get to shoot more anyhow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well.. it sounds worse than it is. The law says that any animal shall not suffer in vaine. The supreme court statet that it also goes for "if it is a chance/risk that an animal suffer in vaine".

It goes for any game - but especially for big game. I dont know how you practice big game, but in norway you are bound by the law to either own your own approved dog for searching after wounded game, or you will need to carry an written agreement with someone who can show up within 4 hours with an approved dog. That part is very important. You dont get to hunt unless you can document this. Someone who owns the land their hunting does not always follow this. Rest of us whom buys a "gamecard" need to document:
1. payd hunting tax
2. documentation of approved searchdog
3. documentation of an yearly approved shooting test. The test may only be taken if you have fired 30 rounds in advance that year.

The test is actually funny... you got to fire 5 rounds without any support for the gun and all must hit inside an circle of 40 cm at 100 meter. You fire at an animal fig. where the circle is marked with an fine line around the heart/lounges impossible to see at that range. Every year someone actuality failes... usually elderly.

BTW.. I see on the news that Bush is practicing som LR shooting in Iraq right know...
grin.gif

"if it is a chance/risk that an animal suffer in vaine".

Ok, so all of the idiots don't live in Washington!
mad.gif

I take a chance or risk of suffering in vain everyday on the highway. I guess the animals have more rights than we do now.

I think if someone can prove their ability to pass your shooting test, with the equipment that they intend to use, they should be able to hunt at any range that you can pass the test at. If you want to use a bench and shoot at 1000 yards, you have to pass the test with a bench at 1000 yards.

Wow Dachs,

That's different from our situation here. We just take a hunter saftey course in school (or elsewhere) at age 11 or 12, (I can't remember shich) and it is geared so absolutely noone fails. Mostly, you are taught not to shoot at the weeds just cause you heard a sound in there. You know, be sure of your target. Wear an orange vest/hat, that sort of stuff. Hell, over here, you can shoot another hunter and all you do is loose your hunting licence for 3 or 5 years. It's a real common way for people to get rid of someone they don't like. It's happened around here a few times in the last few years. One guy got shot for a bear in the middle of an open field while working on a farm, (by the farmer) and it was deemed a "Hunting accident". He lost his hunting licence for 3 years. The "Bear" was deader 'n a stick.

In truth, I think you loose your licence here in Pennsylvania longer for shooting a deer out of season than you do for shooting another person. Oh well, it thins out the hunters!

The only paper you have to carry here, that I know of, is a signed permission paper when hunting on private land. That is not enforced whatsoever so noone cares.

Amazing how peoples attitudes change when the law forces them to.

Is Game scarce in Norway?? Here, the deer just get shot so insurance companys don't have to pay for cars that hit them on the highways. Everything revolves around the dollar somehow.

Jay and Darryl

I've thought about it a lot. I run a virtual office, so I can work anywhere. I have two boys though (5 & 6) and am going through a divorce. The way things are going, with our ridiculous gun laws, I may not even get to keep my guns, let alone my kids, which is kind of stupid, since my wife has been medicated for depression for a year and a half and is apparently manic depressive. Once the dust settles, I may decide to do just that - move somewhere a little warmer, and a little more open to my choice of hobbies.

In the meantime, if any of you guys have any leads in web design, graphic design, virtual tours, multimedia or video production, I could use all the work I can get. The custody battle is expected to cost $30,000-50,000!
shocked.gif

So far, my clients have been very supportive, and we are making excellent inroads in the hunting and shooting industry in the US. Only about 10% of my business comes from my home country, so thank you USofA!

There is a responsiblity for every hunter to know his limitations when hunting game. If you can shoot at long range and have one shot kills then thats one form of hunting. Just because a rifle can shoot over a country mile does not mean the shooter can. But it is still Hunting! I enjoy the challenge of short range hunting, that is why I bow hunt. I also enjoy the decepline and challenge of long range hunting. Either way you owe it to the game to do your homework before you go out.

Sheldon you are welcome in Texas anytime as long as you bring the linguinie and some of them fine CIGARS, make sure that the border people know you are Canadian. Then come on down. Austin, Tx is a booming place along with a lot of other good places.

Now with Toyota coming to San Antonio you could do well in Texas.

Texas.

That would be my first choice. I have been down there a couple of times and I may be visiting again this spring. I might need to pay a visit to one of my clients, who has invited me to go shooting hogs at night from the top of a surbaban using MP5 machine guns.
shocked.gif
It's not long range, but can you say, "KEWL?!?"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

Is his name Bob and does he sell real estate?
Great place for kids to grow up only place I would give up my state hood for would be Alaska.

Have done some expansion tests and compared to Nosler BT, and J4 match. All 165gr out of a WBY (3100fps). AT 70yds, the BT went through 3 gallon milk jugs, the others two. So at an impact vel of over 3000fps, the amax stays together to take out most grass eaters.

The "hydrostatic" shock was amazing. Pieces of jug were thrown up to 10 ft.

Other test was with my 308 and 155gr AMax. Muzzle vel at 2850fps, range 385yds. Bullet blew a nice clean 5/8" hole through a 5/16" mild steel plate. Didn't think I needed to prove that point again.

At LR, those AMAx are going to work just fine for broadside/shoulder presentations. If still concerned, use the new SST and your issues are over. The SST's are also very accurate and even higher BC then the AMax - comparing 165SST and 168Amax.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.