A little stumped load development virgin brass vs once fired

And you need to think before you say something before you say it. I've gotten flattened primers and a sticky bolt waaaay before a max load. So what are you trying to say ???

Some guns will also show pressure signs like extractor marks on the brass even at low pressure. Another way to check for pressure is to measure case head expansion if you are having troubles reading pressure. I won't explain how to do this but a simple search on the internet will have plenty of hits. The long of the short of it is measure the case head before and after you fire it and see how much it expands. I think .005 thou expansion is the max. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)This will mean your over pressure.

thank you Chester. I'm glad someone stepped in on this ! ANY reloading manual says this !

Last edited:
Ok so I was working on a load with virgin brass for my 6.5 PRC. Found a good node at 3125 with 153 Atip, 60gr of Retumbo, and Winchester Mag primers. Prepped my 1 fired brass I dropped down to 59.5gr and immediately got pressure signs, heavy bolt lift ejector marks and flattened primers. Went home and decided to start my load work up again. Now I get pressure signs with anything above 57gr of Retumbo and velocity only 2970. Barrel is clean with no carbon ring, checked with bore scope. I'm stumped as I was really happy with 3125 but now my good node is only at 2950. That's a big drop in velocity.

Ok so I was working on a load with virgin brass for my 6.5 PRC. Found a good node at 3125 with 153 Atip, 60gr of Retumbo, and Winchester Mag primers. Prepped my 1 fired brass I dropped down to 59.5gr and immediately got pressure signs, heavy bolt lift ejector marks and flattened primers. Went home and decided to start my load work up again. Now I get pressure signs with anything above 57gr of Retumbo and velocity only 2970. Barrel is clean with no carbon ring, checked with bore scope. I'm stumped as I was really happy with 3125 but now my good node is only at 2950. That's a big drop in velocity.
What make of brass? As others have said thank goodness you didn't blow your face off! I have a 6.5 SS and I pressure out way before those kind of speeds. If you are getting 2950 "safely" that is still very good for the PRC, still probably on the "hot" side.

Didn't mean to get off track here but some people need to be bashed ! I know that some load data is on the conservative side but this data is steep. 60 grains is to high and being that far over isn't good at all. I would stick to load data form a manual and be careful of online data unless it's from a powder/bullet publisher.

I've gotten better info from this forum than any other, although most are bad yes, so I can't completely agree with you dude.

Didn't mean to get off track here but some people need to be bashed ! I know that some load data is on the conservative side but this data is steep. 60 grains is to high and being that far over isn't good at all. I would stick to load data form a manual and be careful of online data unless it's from a powder/bullet publisher.
Before examining each pressure sign, let's define normal pressures. SAAMI establishes pressures for commercial cartridges made in the United States along with case and chamber dimensions. The maximum average pressure (MAP) allowed by SAAMI for any rifle cartridge is 65,000 psi, yet many handloads won't show any pressure signs at 70,000 psi and occasionally 75,000 psi.

As I said, you should have quit before you even started in on this one.

not interested in your long winded explanations. It's really not needed, seriously. Most of my load manuals are short and to the point, unlike you. That should tell you something. I try not be critical with guys like you and not at all, but guys like you make it difficult. I think I'll end it here.