Virgin brass vs fired brass

Nice groups andros!
thanks Dosh!!! but i have a question for u...this is a long range hunting forum.. or i sniper forum?.....i know is nice having tight groups...and is ok for long range... but why some of u want to put 10 bullets same hole at 1000 yards....?? if u miss the first shot.. the Deere or elk will run away anyway !!!! don't u agree? this question is just for curiosity and not addressed directly to u so don 't get .... bugged? please lol love u guys!!! and sorry for my writing...i have to speak and write 3 languages in my everyday life.... My respect ti all of u.. and don't stop teaching me niko

Last edited:
Niko, 10 in the same hole at 1000 is beyond world class, but 10 shots in a good group at 1000 verifies consistency. Consistency is the key to accuracy. Here in Az a 1000 yard shot isn't as common as many would think. I'm 68 and the longest shot I've had in my life was just under 500. The areas I hunt just don't have too many opportunities to shoot any further. Perhaps if I can draw an antelope tag this year I can break that 500 a bit. I have plenty of bonus points, now it's up to the luck of the draw. Your writing is fine, we've seen a lot worse on this forum.

10 shots in a good group at 1000 defines xx PRECISION at 1kyds.
ACCURACY is another matter all together, and consistent accuracy is another matter again.
This is a long range hunting site

Nikeandrose. 1000 yard shots are becoming more common as technology improves. We hunt coues in the AZ desert and I am seeing 700 to 1000 yard shots on a more-and-more regular basis. The reason there is so much emphasis on small groups at 1000 yards is to be sure you can make the shot when you have to. Also, conditions must be near perfect but not uncommon during early morning hours. Of all the large game my local family took this year, five were between 530 and 760 yards and one at 200 and 400. A couple of years ago I took one at 1000 yards with 270 WSM. All but 1 required only one round to be fired. In certain parts of the country out here, getting closer is an unavailable option (generally glassing from a high point making it impossible to relocate the game once descended from the point; scrub oak can make a deer invisible at eye level). When missing at long distances, most of the time, the game will not run off and provide you a chance to make a quick adjustment to take another shot. A spotter is vital to our success unless we have a rifle that will reliably remain on target when fired.

Andros, I am glad you pointed out you're trilingual. Was going to point out that you should make sure that your target is a deer and not a Deere, as the farmer/rancher would get pretty ****ed...

Consistency is the name of the game with LR and it's kind of like golf, you can never reach perfection,,, but doesn't mean you don't keep trying to improve. (I hate golf btw...)

I wish I would have had a site like this available when I started reloading (and wish I would have found it earlier), would have saved me a lot of time, frustration and barrel wear. I had a concentricity quality control issue with some Nosler brass a few years ago and one of the members here slapped me upside the head and made me realize that it didn't matter with new brass. Now instead of sitting on a shelf it's in my rotation and no different than any of my other brass...

Niko, 10 in the same hole at 1000 is beyond world class, but 10 shots in a good group at 1000 verifies consistency. Consistency is the key to accuracy. Here in Az a 1000 yard shot isn't as common as many would think. I'm 68 and the longest shot I've had in my life was just under 500. The areas I hunt just don't have too many opportunities to shoot any further. Perhaps if I can draw an antelope tag this year I can break that 500 a bit. I have plenty of bonus points, now it's up to the luck of the draw. Your writing is fine, we've seen a lot worse on this forum.
thank dos
Andros, I am glad you pointed out you're trilingual. Was going to point out that you should make sure that your target is a deer and not a Deere, as the farmer/rancher would get pretty ****ed...

Consistency is the name of the game with LR and it's kind of like golf, you can never reach perfection,,, but doesn't mean you don't keep trying to improve. (I hate golf btw...)

I wish I would have had a site like this available when I started reloading (and wish I would have found it earlier), would have saved me a lot of time, frustration and barrel wear. I had a concentricity quality control issue with some Nosler brass a few years ago and one of the members here slapped me upside the head and made me realize that it didn't matter with new brass. Now instead of sitting on a shelf it's in my rotation and no different than any of my other brass...
lol.. sorry for the Deere..( but ****!!! happened one that I blow up a tire of a small lawn mower. it was a Deere.( deer)

thank dos
lol.. sorry for the Deere..( but ****!!! happened one that I blow up a tire of a small lawn mower. it was a Deere.( deer)
To buckskinner we don't have longest range here.... my excuse is to hunt coywolves.. i place target ( non suspicious one.. like a old rusted can..or an almost rotten plywood..) than i walk away with my GPS.. at the distance i will like to learn to shoot...i make a lots of mistakes . but who doesn't?.. learning is fun.. i had problems too with one fired brass...lake city brass for 7.62x51 .. resized to 6.5 Creedmoor.. and a friend that was teaching the art of reloading.. didn't spit in my face just to don't perfume me ( he said!!).. LC brass is thicker and ones bullet inserted.. Over all diameter was muuuchhh more than requested ....cartridge stuck in the chamber ..houch...!! ( i didn't measure it previously.. and I was suppose to neck turning...( i reloaded that way... 100 pcs... !!!!! lol...PS THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUY TO GIVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO WRITE IN THIS COMMUNITY.. And please CALL ME NIKO( to everyone )

Last edited:
its just not the brass : Besides the brass is it all the same lot. neck thickness, weight, primers same batch, same for powder ( will very from batch to batch ) Your shell holder will play a big part in the outcome ( again using the same shell holder ) and the last the bullets themselves will very in weight and length ( try a few and see for ones self ) remember a .00001 or two each time adds up. Most important keep good notes on your brass regardless of how little it may seam. All adds up in the END ( BANG ) have a case / box/ bag to keep it all organized.

NIKO : I was very lucky to have a few old timers in the benchrest field teach me a lot of the trade and tricks of handloading. One lives and learns.. Like the LC brass ( hate to cut necks ) even the Match at times. Have / Had ton's of it from the old timers From doing 6mm-06 AI / 25-06 AI / 308's and the such. Just went over to the 6 MM XC II - bot the brass from Peterson got the SRP-no more fireforming for me , besides don't plan on shooting in the colder days, anymore.

GOOD LUCK AND SHOT STRAIGHT & OFTEN NIKO.

ALSO : There is virgin and there is virgin brass- if one knows who he is getting it from and how fired- Was it from military 5.56 fired in a SAW or M-16 / m-14 308 , 50 BMG , LC is now Winchester but still under LC rules army regs . Some of the OFB needs a lot of work so know or at least try to see who you are getting it from and how shot- an bolt, auto vrs a full auto / machinegun has a different chamber tolerance . May need small base dies ? ETC ETC ETC

It'll be interesting to see the results. I've got 0.004" of shoulder change from virgin to once fired. I try to bump the shoulders 0.001-0.002" back.
Don't just bump the shoulders back .001-.002 on the first firing of your virgin bass. Check in gun with bolt stripped for fitment in chamber. ( I am assuming your loading for a bolt gun) It can take mutiple firings to fully form your brass to your chamber. Unless your running a really hot load. This is the first mistake when I begin to reload.

NIKO : I was very lucky to have a few old timers in the benchrest field teach me a lot of the trade and tricks of handloading. One lives and learns.. Like the LC brass ( hate to cut necks ) even the Match at times. Have / Had ton's of it from the old timers From doing 6mm-06 AI / 25-06 AI / 308's and the such. Just went over to the 6 MM XC II - bot the brass from Peterson got the SRP-no more fireforming for me , besides don't plan on shooting in the colder days, anymore.

GOOD LUCK AND SHOT STRAIGHT & OFTEN NIKO.
sorry for the.delay.. thank u very much for the inputs.. I will try my best to find better days to shoot too.. but as I said.. when u don't have ranges over 300.. and hunting season is closed.. only thing left to do for me is.. train.. with a .22 at 300..!! my little daughter.. gave me a small teddy bear as a gift for Christmas!! she said" daddy it is so small at 300 yards and hard to see. ( I couldn't see it under my bed) . I guess u should have fun trying to catch him with my rifle!!) lol