Another fireform vs. virgin brass question

arrow

I know these questions get asked all the time and i have read all i can find on it, but i still have a some questions. Alot of people have written that virgin brass is fine. I just feel like for load development it would prefer different loads with virgin vs fire formed brass? Also as far as gathering data, if the fire formed is going to shoot a little bit differently than all the data collected from virgin in now thrown out the window? Can anybody chime in and help me out on this one.

I agree with D.ID also.
You're going to fireform your brass no matter what, and this is an opportunity to see how it matters for you.

It's similar to barrel break-in concerns. You're going to break it in no matter what

New brass fired the first time will have its case head pretty much take the same angle as the bolt face has. No resizing method will make it square again with the case long axis. Chambering that case after any sizing process probably won't get it indexed the same as when it was first fired. Accuracy will suffer; the better the high points on the case head and bolt face align, the worse it gets.

If you want a tack driver, have the bolt face squared up with the chamber axis. Usually, the headspace won't increase more than 2 or 3 thousandths. If that's too much, go ahead and square it up then have the barrel set back and rechambered. Otherwise it may not shoot as accurate as one would like.

there is fireforming and fireforming : Depending on the first charge of forming and whether using virgin or OFB brass. The amount of shoulder movement and the sizing of neck either up-or down will influence your brass thickness and if one has a good set of dies. And a press that is so;id, it takes a lot of effort to do it correct . Have done a lot of resizing and wildcat brass especially prior to SAMMI , Your SMITH is your best friend when cutting chamber & making sizing dies and blueprinting the action etc.. Had all my wildcat dies cut at the same time chambers was being cut. Makes a big difference at the neck, throat, base of brass.and the brass itself. Like to stay with the same batch of brass makes like much easier. I get all mine at the same time and same batch. ( BRASS that is ) Want to get it re-formed right on the first try, darn good oatmeal.!!!!! It will cost a little but well worth it in a LONG run.

Last edited: