A little fun thread: same bullet different ammunition maker

Cannelure on Accubonds? I have a box of Nosler Trophy Grade130g 270win and checked them and they have a cannelure, the loose bullets in 130g and 140g AB for 277 caliber I have do not have a cannelure.

Cannelure on Accubonds? I have a box of Nosler Trophy Grade130g 270win and checked them and they have a cannelure, the loose bullets in 130g and 140g AB for 277 caliber I have do not have a cannelure.
I purchased some pulled bullets from a member here and they had a cannelure. I questioned them and I was assured they were accubond. A few months later I purchased blemishes from shooters pro shop and they also have a cannelure. All bullets I got from Nosler have no cannelure. No worries since they all shoot the same.
These were all 160 grain .284

Sorry but when a box of bullets doubles in price over 3 years while others have maybe increased 10%, I'd call that gouging. I've bought and used Nosler bullets for a long time, I still have a lot on my shelf. Based on their current practices though, they don't offer me anything that a Berger or Hornady doesn't. They're not out of my price range I just won't pay $100 for something that I used to get for $50. They can position themselves as top tier in price but that doesn't mean that they're over and above others that have maintained a reasonable cost for a product.
Everyone has the right to choose where they spend their money. I don't disagree that the increases have been crazy. I am also not defending Nosler with this next bit, just trying to offer a perspective.

As a person that manages construction projects I can tell you the increases in the things I see have been astronomical over the last 3 years. Many suppliers say it's from the pandemic, to which I call BS, but that's not the point. If the supplies are up and they are needed to do the work, we cant stop the train. The price gets pushed to the customer paying for the construction project.

Today's perception of gouging is at the point of sale, but the cause isn't necessarily from the point of sale. Each layer has increases and they all have to make a profit in a for profit business. I hate the price increases on lots of things as much as the next guy, but the root cause is deep down the rabbit hole.

I can't speak to nosler, but in the work I do, most companies are trying to maintain a profit margin while staying competitive. Some have lowered the bar on profit margins to save face with customers. It's a push and pull. Also labor is up to keep good people around and working, fuel is up to keep the goods coming, supplies are up from the distributors, and all things combined compound rather quickly and quite frankly at rates that have made a lot of customers sour but not in the control of the contractors.

Everyone has the right to choose where they spend their money. I don't disagree that the increases have been crazy. I am also not defending Nosler with this next bit, just trying to offer a perspective.

As a person that manages construction projects I can tell you the increases in the things I see have been astronomical over the last 3 years. Many suppliers say it's from the pandemic, to which I call BS, but that's not the point. If the supplies are up and they are needed to do the work, we cant stop the train. The price gets pushed to the customer paying for the construction project.

Today's perception of gouging is at the point of sale, but the cause isn't necessarily from the point of sale. Each layer has increases and they all have to make a profit in a for profit business. I hate the price increases on lots of things as much as the next guy, but the root cause is deep down the rabbit hole.

I can't speak to nosler, but in the work I do, most companies are trying to maintain a profit margin while staying competitive. Some have lowered the bar on profit margins to save face with customers. It's a push and pull. Also labor is up to keep good people around and working, fuel is up to keep the goods coming, supplies are up from the distributors, and all things combined compound rather quickly and quite frankly at rates that have made a lot of customers sour but not in the control of the contractors.
I get all of the supply chain increases, and how it drives retail prices. I just think it's crazy that a bullet that is very comparable to an ELD-X and EOL, the ABLR, has went from $50/100 in 2019 to almost $100/100 all while Berger's and Hornady's prices have only slightly increased. I can still get a box of 195 EOLs for $67 and ELD-X/M for even cheaper than that. Are Berger and Hornady just eating the cost difference? I can't imagine they're losing money on their products. I've always been very much a Nosler fan, and I've always sworn by their bullets and the consistency of their bullets.

I just can't see how the cost of production has only affected Nosler to the tune of near 100% increases in retail prices while these price increases haven't been seen in the rest of the market. Can that be explained?

I get all of the supply chain increases, and how it drives retail prices. I just think it's crazy that a bullet that is very comparable to an ELD-X and EOL, the ABLR, has went from $50/100 in 2019 to almost $100/100 all while Berger's and Hornady's prices have only slightly increased. I can still get a box of 195 EOLs for $67 and ELD-X/M for even cheaper than that. Are Berger and Hornady just eating the cost difference? I can't imagine they're losing money on their products. I've always been very much a Nosler fan, and I've always sworn by their bullets and the consistency of their bullets.

I just can't see how the cost of production has only affected Nosler to the tune of near 100% increases in retail prices while these price increases haven't been seen in the rest of the market. Can that be explained?
They want to get the same price as Hammer. Hammer is charging a $1. each, them Nosler wants the same. Hammer are all copper bullets, so I feel there should be a price differents. I have no problem with Hammer prices. I do with Nosler. I am a big fan of Nosler bullets and used them over a great many years, and still do.
I am just now having rifles being built with faster twist to handle copper bullets like Hammer. Hammer from what I can see haven't adjusted their prices much, but Nosler is a different story.
Presently stocking up on hammer bullets as I can afford them. I am at the same time watching Nosler and their bullets. What are available, and what I can get my hands onto.
Berger seem to have held there prices, and I have been purchasing them too.

They want to get the same price as Hammer. Hammer is charging a $1. each, them Nosler wants the same. Hammer are all copper bullets, so I feel there should be a price differents. I have no problem with Hammer prices. I do with Nosler. I am a big fan of Nosler bullets and used them over a great many years, and still do.
I am just now having rifles being built with faster twist to handle copper bullets like Hammer. Hammer from what I can see haven't adjusted their prices much, but Nosler is a different story.
Presently stocking up on hammer bullets as I can afford them. I am at the same time watching Nosler and their bullets. What are available, and what I can get my hands onto.
Berger seem to have held there prices, and I have been purchasing them too.
It's funny because I just went and looked at the prices of Nosler's E-tip because I noticed the price similarity to Hammers too. The E-tips, 150gr 7mm are listed in their site for $76/50. At this point, instead of buying Nosler I'd much rather be buying Hammers for less. I went and looked at an old order I placed too, $42/250 62gr Varmageddon, a cheap cup and core bullet, now they're $77 for the same box. I'd gladly spend more for a Berger or Sierra than pay so much more for a product that is unchanged.

Even though they overlap in some markets, they are not the same corporations. There are way too many differences in the two and without doing a deep dive, here are a few thoughts.

HQ location, which affects taxes operating costs, delivery costs, etc. Oregon vs Nebraska.

Scale of business and goods. Nosler is pretty much bullets and ammo, some firearms.. Hornady is bullets, ammo, reloading equipment, gun safes. Based on this it could simply be Hornady is choosing to make their profit in other areas to keep bullet costs down which could increase their market share. It's possible they're other product lines are a higher % increase and they chose to keep the bullet % increase down. Businesses do things like this all the time to squeeze competitors. I am not saying this is what they are doing, just saying it's in the realm of possibilities.

There really isn't an apples to apples comparison in my opinion.

I purchased some pulled bullets from a member here and they had a cannelure. I questioned them and I was assured they were accubond. A few months later I purchased blemishes from shooters pro shop and they also have a cannelure. All bullets I got from Nosler have no cannelure. No worries since they all shoot the same.
These were all 160 grain .284
Same here. I have both and shot them in my .280AI and have not noticed any difference in performance or accuracy.

I'll bite. I've shot both brands in that cartridge: The Federal cases were dangerously over length for my chamber and were less accurate than the cheapest stuff I ever shot. The Noslers fed great, but they grouped close to 2 moa. Honest truth.

These results are not typical, I know. Typically I would choose Federal. I admire companies that can make good business loading other people's bullets, as much as I find Nosler admirable and independent. Also, if the load isn't good in your gun you're out less money with Fed.