A little fun thread: same bullet different ammunition maker

In my 30/30 I generally only use factory ammo, and my 5.56 too. I can reload them, but I don't use those rifles for hunting. All my other are bolt action that I use and reloads for. I have no care to use factory ammo in my hunting rifles. I normally use Nosler Acb or BT's in my rifles. It's been just of late that I have a rifle that was a fast enough twist to handle the all copper bullets.

Both of those boxes say 6.5 Creedmoor, does it matter 🤣. They should both be laser beams! Just kidding.

I have had great results with the Nosler Trophy Grade in my 280. A few years back they temporarily discontinued the 280 offering and I bought 5-6 boxes at around $30/box when it was 50% off online on multiple sites. It's available again in 280 and yikes$$$$$.

I have never tried the federal.

Federal. For sure gonna be cheaper and at least as if not more accurate.

It's not loaded as hot as some brands but whether it's the cheap power shock blue box or the super premium trophy bonded tip, back when I shot factory ammo NOTHING outshot federal for accuracy. Hornady, Winchester, Remington, none of them. But Winchester was loaded notably hotter and accurate enough and their boring old PowerPoint had superior terminal performance to federals soft point in my experince.

Nosler is a decent product but not worth anywhere close to as much as they say it is. Overrated and overpriced and I'm just done with them.

Federal 100%
I'm done supporting Nosler.
Period.
I agree with this. Plus the Federal is probably $45-ish and the Nosler is probably $65-ish. No sense in paying the prices Nosler is charging for stuff. They've gone off the deep end of price gouging and I don't want to buy anymore of their stuff.

Last edited:
My guess is that they are the exact same other than the box and head stamp on the brass
Ran down the same line
Yes, Federal has been making ammo for as long as I can remember, and I'm only 600 years old. Nosler is a bullet manufacturer. Federal is probably one of the only brass manufacturers left that still makes nickel plated brass. Good catch Darryle. 👍

I agree with this. Plus the Federal is probably $45-ish and the Nosler is probably $65-ish. No sense in paying the prices Nosler is charging for stuff. They've gone off the deep end of price gouging and I don't want to buy anymore of their stuff.
I don't understand this. They position themselves as top tier and don't try to win the less expensive part of the market. There is nothing wrong with that, it just means that Nosler is targeting a different part of the market than you are in, which isn't anything close to gouging.

I don't understand this. They position themselves as top tier and don't try to win the less expensive part of the market. There is nothing wrong with that, it just means that Nosler is targeting a different part of the market than you are in, which isn't anything close to gouging.
Maybe gouging isn't the right word but they seem to think their product is far and away superior to others, one of a kind, and it's reflected in their pricing. It's not as different or special as they seem to expect us to believe. Accubonds and partitions are one one thing, but the ballistic tip is, at the end of the day, a cup and core bullet with a middle of the road bc and a ubiquitous plastic tip. And they're asking premium prices for a non premium bullet that looks pretty. They can keep them! They shoot great, they look great, they kill…so do the hornady versions that aren't out to lunch.

Sorry but when a box of bullets doubles in price over 3 years while others have maybe increased 10%, I'd call that gouging. I've bought and used Nosler bullets for a long time, I still have a lot on my shelf. Based on their current practices though, they don't offer me anything that a Berger or Hornady doesn't. They're not out of my price range I just won't pay $100 for something that I used to get for $50. They can position themselves as top tier in price but that doesn't mean that they're over and above others that have maintained a reasonable cost for a product.

If I had to buy ammo, I would buy a box of each. Shoot one box ,6 groups of 3 total 18 Rds , Go Home , Clean the rifle , return to the range in a day or two, and shoot exactly the same amount with the other box. Save all the targets , carefully measure the groups with a caliper. The Mfg . that produced the best groups, in my rifle, during that test, is the winner, for now!!! As batches of ammo changes, regular testing of newly released ammo would be necessary. Nosler, Federal, Hornady will eventually market some Super Duper Extra Premium, Terminal Accent , Outfitter , Premium Gold or Vibranium something!!! What the hell, Try that one next!!