A Few Quick Questions

Off topic, but this is my home, driveway, and a few random photos.
My driveway is over 4 kms long from the road, which is a dead end road, so little traffic. Approximately 100 yards from my cabin is a river, and yes there are fish in it.
Lastly our newest piece of equipment, a case combine recently delivered. View attachment 500372View attachment 500373View attachment 500374View attachment 500375View attachment 500376
That's what I call living the dream life. You're one lucky lady!

You are making me miss my old 30-30.

The 30-30 has so much history, and is a lovely rifle.
Think of all the deer, moose, bear, elk, goat, coyotes, rabbits, and everything else it has taken.
I have to wonder if anything else has as many kills as the 30-30.
My boss was telling me that years ago, long before I began working here, a ranch hand was in fear of a bear acting irrational. That ranch hand pulled out his trusty 30-30 and shot it. Bear was down in a 1 shot kill.
30-30 likely has more bear kills than the next closest cartridge.
He isn't my grandfather by blood, but I call him grandpa, technically my bosses grandfather.
He grew up in the bush and hunting, shot more animals than I can wrap my head around, only thing he ever owned was a 30-30.
He was a trapper to, and was apparently for some reason allowed to harvest 4 black bears a year then. Says he has taken 106 black bears in his life, all with his 30-30.
Said that someone was once laughing at him for only carrying a 30-30. Said the guy stopped laughing when he suggested that since it was a joke gun, he stand there and let him shoot him with it...after all it's only a 30-30. That story made me laugh. Gosh I love him, what a sweet old man.

Last edited:
Amen!
My 22 has a scope on it, as soon as I am done shooting, I turn the magnification down to minimum.

Like yourself, I didn't find cutting a stock down even remotely challenging, have done 2 now.
I wonder if some gunsmiths tell people that they better use them for every little task, so they continue having lots of customers paying huge dollars out.
Its like shops telling people they better get their cars, motorcycles, etc serviced by a mechanic in a shop.
Why?
Most maintenance is brain dead simple to do, but yet so many people are scared to try.
A friend drives a Toyota Rav4, the dealer wanted $190 to change the 2 air filters in it.
I said don't do that, what a rip off.
Go to an independent parts store, buy the engine air, and cabin air filters, watch a couple of youtube videos, and do it yourself. She called me back an hour later and said done. Cost her $43 for the filters, and took her 6 minutes to change both, after spending 10 minutes on youtube.
LOL, you probably could have been that Doctor of your parents ambition. Nothing like getting liberated from the rat race to go find your full potential. ;)

Thanks, looks like a fun scope.

I don't think that a 308, 30-06, 7mm, or such will be my next gun though.
A 243, 6mm, or 6.5mm is most likely.
The less recoil of the 243 and 6mm are appealing, but the extra punch of the 6.5 would be nice, and it still has far less recoil than a 308 or 30-06.
I also really want it to be a lever though, so that seems to eliminate the 6mm.
So when I do buy my next rifle, do I go 243 or 6.5 creedmoor has become the question?
Also Browning or Henry?
Both can be cut down some to fit me, and a good recoil pad added to the cut stock. I would use a slip on style recoil pad, so its easy to remove. Then if the balance is off and I need to add weight to the back, I can drill holes in the end of the stock and add lead weights to restore balance.
If it's down to these two choices I'd go with the 6.5 CM simply because it will let you shoot a heavier bullet and may make a difference in a close encounter with a bear. I would not carry a bolt action in a scabbard personally. Much easier to pull a lever action and get on target quickly. I do own a Henry but not in 6.5CM and cannot really comment on a preference for either Henry or Browning. Also you mentioned bipods? Again not really a fit for a scabbard. May consider one of those "monopod shooting sticks". Good luck with your decision and don't overthink it too much. Be safe and keep living the dream.

Small Lady, nice write up ,sure puts me at ease,that ain't no city girl talking.😉

Thank you very much!
Yes I was born in the big city of Vancouver, raised there, but never felt like it was where I belonged.
Once old enough to drive, was taking off whenever I could to hiking areas. The problem with Vancouver hiking areas is that they still have lots of people, so it wasn't really like hiking alone.
When i got older, about 18, I would drive hours to truly remote locations, and do multiple day hikes, sleeping alone in the bush, or on a mountain.
My parents were furious with me, told me how dangerous it was, and ladies don't do such things.
To help make them feel less anxiety I took martial arts so I could defend myself against creeps.
Then I began to love doing martial arts, and got super into it, and practiced any chance i had, earned my black belt. Still hated city living, so bought a condo in the suburbs, still hated that, way too many people, and far too close yet to Vancouver.
Was also super into biking, raced bikes occasionally, and would just go out for 150 km rides. Having learned about bike maintenance, I occasionally posted on craigslist that I would do bicycle repairs and maintenance.
Well one day I was reading on craigslist, different ads from all over BC, and saw this ad looking for a personal assistant. Well i read that ad probably 5 times, this guy under Craigslist PG was looking for a personal assistant to help him out. It said he owned farms, vineyards, gravel pits, also tons of heavy equipment and big trucks.
So I sent an email, including my phone number, but no resume, I didn't even have a resume prepared to send.
The next day this man calls me up, and I bet we talked for an hour.
With lots of holiday time left, i booked 2 weeks off from my job as an RN, loaded up my little Kia, and headed north, camping at Mcleese lake the first night in my tent.
Showed up the next day, and met his wife and kids first, I instantly loved them all, what a woman, and awesome kids.
She asked me if I knew how to drive an ATV, I answered no, but was a quick learner. She took me outside, showed me in 3 minutes the basics of how to drive her Honda Rubicon, and explained the trails I would need to take to get into the area where her husband currently was, she also gave me a radio, and said if I get lost, break down, or whatever to call on this radio, and someone would come get me.
An hour later I found 4 people on quads, and introduced myself. After greetings and some small talk, they gave me a pair of work gloves 3 sizes too large, and put me to work. I already knew that I wanted the job and to live there, problem was I had to convince this man who was shirtless, and rippled in muscle, to hire a 91 pound girl, who was raised in the city. I stayed a week as a volunteer worker, and he told me on that last day the job was mine if i wanted it.
I remember crying, tears of joy, and hugging him.
I went back to the city, quit my job, got renters for my condominium, put things in order, and off I went 3 weeks later on the hwy north again to my new job.
My parents were so so so mad at me, but I told them that I had to do this for me.
Best thing that I have ever done in my life was respond to that Craigslist ad.

My gut tells me there is much more to you than first meets the eye.

Thanks.
I am just trying to do what makes my soul happy.
I'm that odd girl who likes to dance barefoot in the rain, hop on my horse bareback and just let him run to feel the wind on my face. Telling me that I can't do something, will only inspire me to do it.
I gained 2 pounds in my 2 years here, but am sure its muscle, because I feel twice as strong now as I did then.
I put in a lot of overtime, worked yesterday which was technically a day off, because its easy to go to work now, as I love my job, love my boss, love my coworkers, and nobody here tells me that I can't do stuff, because I have proven myself and earned their respect.
Something that I could never do with my blood relatives.
These people feel like my true family.
5am this morning, my day off, I hear an ATV pull up to my cabin. Before he can knock I yelled come in. It was my boss, he came through the door with a thermos, grabbed 2 cups off my shelf, poured us each a coffee, and then sat down for a chat.
Asked me what my plans were for the day, I replied nothing much, just a horseback ride to the south meadow, across the river, and up to the old abandoned sawmill site.
He asked me if I wanted to go for an early morning flight with him, to which I think that I may have screamed YES at him. He said okay, get yourself ready, pull out the 530 and fuel it up, preflight it, and put myself in the pilot seat, i get to fly again today. 80 minutes later he shows up and his 4 kids, he squeezes them all into the backseats, not meant for 4, good thing they are skinny kids, he jumps in the copilots seat, grabs the checklist and talks me through turbine start, pre takeoff checks, and says to me, take us to anywhere my heart desires, the kids just want a ride.
We flew around for a while, and then he said okay take us home, so I did.
Sure I could have stayed in the city, doing a job i hated, for a boss that I despised.
Maybe even made my parents happy by dating some boy in a suit, who drives a lexus, and owns more shoes than I do. But I would be miserable doing it!
Vancouver has boys, men are rare. Maybe 1 in 5000 males there are actually what I would call a man...the other 4999 are boys.
If I could change 1 thing about my life now, it would be to own an old Ford F250 with a big V8, manual gearbox, huge mud tires, and solid steel bumpers. Don't need it, but want it, so will someday buy an old F250. A coworker has such a truck, and gosh it is awesome.

Thank you very much!
Yes I was born in the big city of Vancouver, raised there, but never felt like it was where I belonged.
Once old enough to drive, was taking off whenever I could to hiking areas. The problem with Vancouver hiking areas is that they still have lots of people, so it wasn't really like hiking alone.
When i got older, about 18, I would drive hours to truly remote locations, and do multiple day hikes, sleeping alone in the bush, or on a mountain.
My parents were furious with me, told me how dangerous it was, and ladies don't do such things.
To help make them feel less anxiety I took martial arts so I could defend myself against creeps.
Then I began to love doing martial arts, and got super into it, and practiced any chance i had, earned my black belt. Still hated city living, so bought a condo in the suburbs, still hated that, way too many people, and far too close yet to Vancouver.
Was also super into biking, raced bikes occasionally, and would just go out for 150 km rides. Having learned about bike maintenance, I occasionally posted on craigslist that I would do bicycle repairs and maintenance.
Well one day I was reading on craigslist, different ads from all over BC, and saw this ad looking for a personal assistant. Well i read that ad probably 5 times, this guy under Craigslist PG was looking for a personal assistant to help him out. It said he owned farms, vineyards, gravel pits, also tons of heavy equipment and big trucks.
So I sent an email, including my phone number, but no resume, I didn't even have a resume prepared to send.
The next day this man calls me up, and I bet we talked for an hour.
With lots of holiday time left, i booked 2 weeks off from my job as an RN, loaded up my little Kia, and headed north, camping at Mcleese lake the first night in my tent.
Showed up the next day, and met his wife and kids first, I instantly loved them all, what a woman, and awesome kids.
She asked me if I knew how to drive an ATV, I answered no, but was a quick learner. She took me outside, showed me in 3 minutes the basics of how to drive her Honda Rubicon, and explained the trails I would need to take to get into the area where her husband currently was, she also gave me a radio, and said if I get lost, break down, or whatever to call on this radio, and someone would come get me.
An hour later I found 4 people on quads, and introduced myself. After greetings and some small talk, they gave me a pair of work gloves 3 sizes too large, and put me to work. I already knew that I wanted the job and to live there, problem was I had to convince this man who was shirtless, and rippled in muscle, to hire a 91 pound girl, who was raised in the city. I stayed a week as a volunteer worker, and he told me on that last day the job was mine if i wanted it.
I remember crying, tears of joy, and hugging him.
I went back to the city, quit my job, got renters for my condominium, put things in order, and off I went 3 weeks later on the hwy north again to my new job.
My parents were so so so mad at me, but I told them that I had to do this for me.
Best thing that I have ever done in my life was respond to that Craigslist ad.
Gotta follow your dreams!
Congrats!
Hopefully, Mom and Dad are more at ease seeing you enjoy life!

If it's down to these two choices I'd go with the 6.5 CM simply because it will let you shoot a heavier bullet and may make a difference in a close encounter with a bear. I would not carry a bolt action in a scabbard personally. Much easier to pull a lever action and get on target quickly. I do own a Henry but not in 6.5CM and cannot really comment on a preference for either Henry or Browning. Also you mentioned bipods? Again not really a fit for a scabbard. May consider one of those "monopod shooting sticks". Good luck with your decision and don't overthink it too much. Be safe and keep living the dream.

Bipod is for my 7mm.
My daily carry gun won't have one.

Gotta follow your dreams!
Congrats!
Hopefully, Mom and Dad are more at ease seeing you enjoy life!

Not at all.
Came to visit me this July for my birthday, saw where I lived, and nearly had a stroke. They were wanting to pack up my few belongings in my cabin, and rush me back to Vancouver right then.
They barely talk to me now.
Same with my siblings.
I'm the black sheep who is a royal screw up in their opinion.
That's okay, they are entitled to their opinions.
Last text I got from them was my dad telling me that its time to stop being a screw up, move home, go back to university, find a boyfriend, and get my life back on track.

My entire response to him was " Love you dad".

Not at all.
Came to visit me this July for my birthday, saw where I lived, and nearly had a stroke. They were wanting to pack up my few belongings in my cabin, and rush me back to Vancouver right then.
They barely talk to me now.
Same with my siblings.
I'm the black sheep who is a royal screw up in their opinion.
That's okay, they are entitled to their opinions.
Last text I got from them was my dad telling me that its time to stop being a screw up, move home, go back to university, find a boyfriend, and get my life back on track.

My entire response to him was " Love you dad".
It's your life, not theirs. Glad to hear that you're enjoying life and not letting their negativity sway you.