A few days with the Quigley-Ford 5x-20x dual focal plane scope.

JD Mock

After zeroing my rifle at 200 yards, I used the 500 yard hash mark to shoot my plywood deer at that distance. The 108 gr. Berger hit center and the two shots were less than 1 inch center to center. My "deer" is used for the youngsters to practice. I cut a hole in the heart area and stapled a target on the back side. I was pleasantly surprised by the two great shots at 500 yards. I also shot at 200, 300, 400, and 600 at conventional targets and the hash marks were very good and no shot was farther than 2 inches from the aim point. I will do more testing. James Mock

QF520DUAL-sq-sm-1.jpg Quigley-Ford.jpg
DSCF9009.JPG Quigley-Ford at the Range.JPG

Randy Ford has a patent on this scope with DUAL focal plane reticles. The primary reticle is a First Focal Plane and it has the hash marks out to 1000 yards. He added a Second Focal plane with thick cross hair to guide ones eyes to the center when the scope is on low power (with corresponding small reticle marks) or the light is dim. Here is a picture of the reticles at low power.
QF520DUAL_10X_sm-1.jpgQigley Reticle.jpg

🤨

Founders qualifications 🤔

So, beyond shorter ranges, QF scopes are a joke? Is that what you meant?
NO, not at all. The two shots on the plywood deer target were shot at 500 MEASURED yards. What I was saying is that First Focal Plane reticles get very fine at the lower powers, where the 2nd Focal plane reticles remain the same at low or higher power.

Oh boy...another QF thread.

I remember the last big one, and the hilarity that ensued. I remember the name of the OP. Budly. It was gold!

He obtained legendary status over on the hide for his melt down in the QF thread. If you do not work concrete, bench over 275 and have over 200 bow kills you aren't qualified to shoot a Quigley Ford scope.

As for the scope itself, $3,000 is getting into alpha tier money and I doubt it can compete with the Gen 3 Razor or Nightforce ATACR. Plus the reticle is only good for one bullet combination on one rifle at one set of atmospheric conditions which makes it highly limiting and I imagine the cost to change the reticle would be quite expensive.

Oh man.... it must almost be Christmas, another Quigley Ford thread....

Perfect. Have to fly on Thanksgiving, this will make the time and boredom pass waiting in the terminal.

Recent Posts