First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

I know the difference.. but I am having a hard time understanding what the advantage is to having a FIRST focal plane scope vs. a second focal plane.. any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Here is the OP. Just state the facts and your experiences.

My view is that SFP is of greater advantage to ME for the following reasons.

From point blank to about 350 yds I shoot with point blank aim or slight holdover with scope set on lowest power. I shoot higher velocity, flatter trajectory bullets for the most part and zero @ 200 yds.

At an estimated 250-300 yds I use my rangefinder which takes time. From 300-500 yds I use a quick reference drop chart. Max come up at that range is about 5-6 MOA - no big deal. It takes about 30 sec to accomplish.

Beyond 500 yds, I range, dope and dial. Ranging and doping take a bit of time. Dialing takes a few seconds. Settling into my shot takes more time. I don't take such shots off hand or off the knee. In fact, I rarely shoot offhand or off the knee beyond 100 yds although I have consistently rung steel to 300 yds.

Some where in the 350-500 yd range I transition from low power to max power on my scope. FFP is not a factor.

So I have answered the OP's question from MY perspective. From the FFP user's perspective what is the advantage?

For me the advantage is that I can use the reticle at any magnification which allows me to see it. That is about 6-8x and up on my 4-16 and (in good light or with illumination) and all the way up from 6x on my 6-24. I will state that my 6-24 has not been used in the field yet. I was concerned that 6x is too much magnification when I originally bought, and that would be true if stalking something, but for the shooting I do I find that 6x on my scope pretty closely matches the field of view of my binoculars, so that made me feel more comfortable buying the second scope in 6x24.

I am not required to operate at specific magnifications, nor do I have to memorize different scales for the reticle for specific magnifications or be in any way precise regarding what magnification I work with.

Both of my reticles have 2MOA increments in the inner portion of the reticle up to 10MOA, then 5MOA out to 30MAO on the windage and continuing with 2MOA on the elevation. I can shoot point blank out to 200 yards, then I can use the reticle for drop and for wind if pressured or dial it up if I have the time. Since we do not hunt deer with rifles in this part of the world, I am only shooting at predators so I never have time. The coyotes seem to come from a different location on every sighting and on average 20 days are required in the field to make a coyote kill. I find that having reference marks on the windage axis which are consistent, help greatly when trying to figure out lead on a moving dog. Since Michigan is primarily thick brush in its natural state, our coyotes turn up the speed when crossing an open area. Since lead is a combination of target speed and time of flight (range) it is not totally intuitive, despite me being an engineer. I have not found reference books on animal speeds either (walk, trot, run etc). I personally have great difficulty trying to maintain a particular holdover on a featureless plex reticle, my repeatability sucks.

I personally do not have access to anywhere that allows for shots longer than 450 yards. There are no public ranges in the area offering more than 100 yards. There is a private club about 30 miles away with a 600 yards range which is available on a fairly limited basis to members. So far, it has not been worth my while to pay dues to stretch things an additional 150 yards.

Here is the OP. Just state the facts and your experiences.

My view is that SFP is of greater advantage to ME for the following reasons.

From point blank to about 350 yds I shoot with point blank aim or slight holdover with scope set on lowest power. I shoot higher velocity, flatter trajectory bullets for the most part and zero @ 200 yds.

At an estimated 250-300 yds I use my rangefinder which takes time. From 300-500 yds I use a quick reference drop chart. Max come up at that range is about 5-6 MOA - no big deal. It takes about 30 sec to accomplish.

Beyond 500 yds, I range, dope and dial. Ranging and doping take a bit of time. Dialing takes a few seconds. Settling into my shot takes more time. I don't take such shots off hand or off the knee. In fact, I rarely shoot offhand or off the knee beyond 100 yds although I have consistently rung steel to 300 yds.

Some where in the 350-500 yd range I transition from low power to max power on my scope. FFP is not a factor.

So I have answered the OP's question from MY perspective. From the FFP user's perspective what is the advantage?

x2 for me, which is why I don't really have a use for the FFP...

WestCliffe do you need a book on leading and windage etc because there is some that you can down load, If you want I cane Email or personal message the link to you if it helps and there are a few other ways you can practice these moving shots too,

hope this helps

john

WestCliffe when a target is running at 90* ie left to right you add a Full value lead, when the target is running at 45* which is a 1/2 value lead, if the target is walking away or towards you there is no lead at all,

IF you want I can post the distance and leads here ok

pactice is the key but the job its self is a little easier,

john

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.