First vs second focal plane for Hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Turkyman, Sep 15, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. teesquare

teesquare Well-Known Member

Yep....like it a lot. Not for being great glass...it is "good", but not top shelf glass. But - the electronics package that is part of the scope/rangefinder combo is incredible. And - accurate as well.

25WSM likes this.
  2. Andrew Massi

Andrew Massi Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

2nd focal plane for me mostly
    Seems the better I get at shooting long range the closer I end up harvesting game
    7 of my last 10 bucks were shot under 200 yards and 5-6 power. No dialing or holdover required but ffp crosshairs at that range are hard to see, impossible to see in low light without illumination. I had a flock of ffp scopes but most hunting rigs wear SFP now as I find them more useful for western hunting.

25WSM likes this.
  3. Goring2358

Goring2358 Well-Known Member

I have used both and for hunting I like second focal better. With your scope set to low power on a ffp the recital can be hard to see when it is low light conditions.

Turkyman likes this.
  4. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

Exactly, in probably 80% of the time you will only have moments to take a shot not.minutes.
    It all dependant on location of course, while a lot fo areas you guys seem to shoot are wide open fields a lot of our game hunting is in dense forest or bushland so an opertunity might onle be seconds.
    Not enough time to get out a range finder, use a balistics app & adjust turrets!

At some point you have to know your reticle!

teesquare likes this.
  5. Shootin4fun

Shootin4fun Well-Known Member

Illuminated reticle is fairly common on FPS scopes. My Tango 6 6-30 and Vortex 5-25 both have it. It made sense to me to include that Option when I bought them for low light visibility.

teesquare likes this.