95gr Berger Classic hunter bullets

AZShooter,
Glad our bullets are working for you. Let us know how they do out a 500 m at the 3465 fps velocity. Thanks for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Hi Phil,

I am not sure when I will get to the other range which is 45 miles away. I am helping a friend's son on his second coues wt hunt this weekend and mearns quail season is about to open up a week from Friday.

I will let you know how it goes eventually. I don't foresee any issues, as the bullet worked fine with the same rifle at the mundane <grin> velocity of 3295 fps.

Ross

Ross,
That's cool . Everything in its own time. Let me know how that .243 Funny Car (speed) does when you get a chance. Have a great Thanksgiving!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I actually took a different approach. I use H4350. I'm getting 3000 fps and could go higher bu I'd just be wasting barrel life.

I hav noticed that every time I run Berger bullets, they prefer the slower burning powders.

The 243 is probably on the small end of what 4350 is good for, but it runs a consistent .5 MOA out of a factory sporter barrel. The barrel will be getting replaced soon anyways though.

I use IMR 7828 due to the lack of powder. Works great. Shot a doe at 165 yds and it was a bang flop! 22 inch barrel at 2980 MV.

Punisher,
And the other benefit is that the slower powder is easier on the barrels throat! Win ,Win!
Sendero,
Outstanding!
Thanks for using our bullets guys!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I use the 95 classic in a 6mm creedmoor with 43 gr of H4350 for 3100 fps out of a 22" barrel. I shot two deer last year with them at 80 yds and 140 yds, I aimed for the lungs since they were so close and neither deer went further than 10 yards. Later in the season I shot 3 does from 30 yards to 180 yards with a 6.5 130 gr berger vld, two dropped and the other went about 5 yards, again I aimed for the lungs.

This year I shot a buck at 150 yards with a 168 classic berger from a 280 AI, the shot was through thick brush and heavy timber, not a shot I would normally take but I was using the heavier bullet for that reason. At the shot the deer bounded forward and into the thicket. When I walked over to where the buck was when I shot there was no sign of a hit. It was so thick I thought maybe I missed, I started walking in the direction the deer went at the shot. I found him about 12 yards from where he got shot. The bullet entered between the last two ribs (probably hit some brush and went off course) and destroyed the inside of the deer. I really think if I was using any other bullet the deer would have ran much further and been difficult to recover. My point is, if you hit them in the ribs at close range they will die quickly, they may not put much blood on the ground but they will be very close to where they got shot.

Sorry for the long story but wanted to let you know they work in any size at any range if you do your part. I use bergers in all my guns and I don't see that changing especially since I have hundreds of them in every size I use.

Gary

8andbait,
Thanks for the kudos and for using our bullets! If any one has any questions on where we suggest bullet placement on an animal . please go to our website and click on "HUNTING". Then click on "TARGETS". Feel free to print these out for reference and/or practice !
Thanks again 8andbait!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

45 grains of H4831.
5 shot group out of my Savage Predator rifle that you could cover with a dime.
Now I'm wanting to find a load using the 80 gr. Berger match/varmint bullets.

Deerthumper,
Contact us at [email protected] for help on loads. Please include cartridge and bullet type and weight in the email. Thanks for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I have been shooting 95 berger classics in my TC icon for a while now. A stiff load of h4831sc nets me 2930 fps. These classics have been very accurate in this rifle, and load development was simple.

I am looking for a load that will net me around 3100 fps, any ideas? Guys at my club are pushing 105 hybrids to 3100 fps in 243's. Surely there are loads that will take the 95's to the same velocity. h4350 maybe?

I was using 42.8 grains of imr4350 and 95 classic hunters in my cheap factory adl 700 243. It was 3070-3080 fps and very accurate to 600 yards. I never had great luck beyond that but didn't put a lot into it either.
These were seated pretty long and were pretty hot in that rifle but the harder I pushed the smaller they grouped.

I was using 42.8 grains of imr4350 and 95 classic hunters in my cheap factory adl 700 243. It was 3070-3080 fps and very accurate to 600 yards. I never had great luck beyond that but didn't put a lot into it either.
These were seated pretty long and were pretty hot in that rifle but the harder I pushed the smaller they grouped.
43.5g h4350 3160fps. 24" sako.

This thread popped up again. Time for an update. I can now report on my friend. Elliot killed a large Coues wt with the 95 gr classic hunter from a 6mm-284. Muzzle velocity 3465 fps. I recently asked him for the details: "Buck was angled away at 87 yards. Bullet entered behind the rib cage & exited behind the opposing shoulder. Buck didn't make it more than 20 yards before piling up."

This would put the impact velocity at 3315 fps.

Last edited: