95gr Berger Classic hunter bullets

Running 45 gr H4831 under a CCI 200 in a Win case. This is out of an old 16.5 inch barrel. It is probably over max slightly, but no pressure signs. I stopped at 45.5 and still none but the 45 grouped good enough for the short barrel. No idea what velocity it really is, I plugged in 2450 fps into the iphone app and it gets me on at 400 yds.

In a longer barrel this may hit pressure signs faster so work up.

Shane, using QuickLoad your 16.5" barrel 45gr of H4831 comes out to 2,693fps and 53,789pmax psi

DeerThumper, if I go with a 22" barrel 42.5gr of H4831 comes out to 2,753 fps and 44,623pmax psi
45gr of H4831 comes out to 2,928fps and 53,789pmax psi

The info above is with the 95, Berger VLD #24427

Tight groups guys and have fun shooting John C

Deerthumper,
Load is 41.5 GR MIN to 46.1 GR MAX for the 95 grain Berger Classic Hunter OR VLD. You will need a twist rate of 1-10" minimum to stabilize this bullet. It is HYBRID BULLET so start your testing at magazine length at the minimum load , work up in 1/2 grain increments till you get 2 grains under the MAX load then go up in 1/10th grain increments. Look for pressure signs and check your accuracy at each step. Make sure you do all your group testing with a barrel that is adequately fouled so the fouling rounds are clustered and not rising on a target before you begin load testing.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I have been shooting 95 berger classics in my TC icon for a while now. A stiff load of h4831sc nets me 2930 fps. These classics have been very accurate in this rifle, and load development was simple.

I am looking for a load that will net me around 3100 fps, any ideas? Guys at my club are pushing 105 hybrids to 3100 fps in 243's. Surely there are loads that will take the 95's to the same velocity. h4350 maybe?

pdd614,
Our loads show that H4831SC gave the highest velocities and you are about 30 fps over that. 3100 fps would be nice BUT is it accurate? Let the rifle tell you what it likes. How long is the barrel of your ICON and what is the charge of H4831SC you are using now?
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I shot a buck at 80 yards with one moving 3150 last year. Bullet exploded upon impact. Deer fell at the shot, blood every where, then he got up and ran 250 yards with not one drop of blood. Took me 6 hrs to find him in a privet and wild lemon thorn thicket. Insides were full of blood. Switched to 100gr partitions.

I shot a buck at 80 yards with one moving 3150 last year. Bullet exploded upon impact. Deer fell at the shot, blood every where, then he got up and ran 250 yards with not one drop of blood. Took me 6 hrs to find him in a privet and wild lemon thorn thicket. Insides were full of blood. Switched to 100gr partitions.
jsthntn247,
If you still have the box of bullets with the LOT number on it. Please call us to see if there were issues with that lot. Having said that , some animals don't know when they are dead. Adrenalin is a powerful thing. Not making excuses but it happens.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

jsthntn247,
If you still have the box of bullets with the LOT number on it. Please call us to see if there were issues with that lot. Having said that , some animals don't know when they are dead. Adrenalin is a powerful thing. Not making excuses but it happens.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

that's nice CS

pdd614,
Our loads show that H4831SC gave the highest velocities and you are about 30 fps over that. 3100 fps would be nice BUT is it accurate? Let the rifle tell you what it likes. How long is the barrel of your ICON and what is the charge of H4831SC you are using now?
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Thanks for the response, Phil. My go to load is 45.5 grains of h4831sc, 210 primer, winchester brass. Accuracy has been beyond my expectations. The icon has a 24 inch 10 twist factory barrel.

This is probably where I will attempt to wear this barrel out over the next year or so, and pray I can find someone to rebarrel this Icon.

jsthntn247,
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Thanks Phil. I think the bullet did exactly what y'all claim it does. Light (-140gr) bullets moving over 3k fps will explode under 200 yards on big deer. I believe the bullet would be perfect for someone out west who normally was shooting 200+ yards. Southern woods hunting requires a heavily bonded, barnes, or partition. The bergers group size were half of any other bullets I tried, wicked accurate .

jstntn247,
Take a look at the bullet placement targets on our website and click on "HUNTING" in the tool bar under the Berger Bullets title. There you can see or print out a target so you get a more accurate idea on bullet placement. This may help also. Let us know about your next experience with that bullet/load on a deer!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I know this thread is about the 243 and the 95 gr classic hunter bullet.

Thought I'd mention that I just switched powders in a 24" barreled 6mm-284. Was using H4350 for vel of 3295. I shot it out to 500M and BC matched the comeups.

Yesterday I tried RL-17 and the highest charge I tried yielded 3465 fps! The bullet handled the velocity at 100 yds just fine. Will be interested in seeing if it will do as well out to 500m.

I doubt I'll use it for anything more than coyotes and jackrabbit hunting. Considered lighter varmint bullets but wanted a higher BC. Twist on the rechambered factory 243 Rem takeoff is too slow for the 105 hybrid or I would be using it instead.

I like this 95 gr classic. Berger says hybrids are not sensitive to seating depth and my experience with this bullet has shown it to be friendly as advertised. It also has a higher BC than the 95 gr Nosler BT.

Hope others use it on big game and report here so we can feel confident in its performance.