90 grn. 270?

earlcurtis67

thought id get yalls opion on using a smaller grain bullit in my 270, how would a 90grn. shoot, or should i give it up and by a different rifle, ie 223, 22-250, 6mm??. ive done a little research and have only been able to find the 90 grain (hornandy), maybe somone knows of another size bullit, thanks guys E

The 6.8 SPC is .277 c aliber and you can buy from 85 grain bullets up to 120 Hornady SST . There are quite a few light .270 bullets made by Sierra, Barnes & Nosler and by some other custom bullet makers as well. The 95 grn. TTSX by Barnes,110 SPH & 120 SST are all very good performers on game as well as being accurate!

I shoot the Speer 100 grain hollow points over 60 grains of IMR 4350. I have shot this in 2-3 different rifles. All of those have been at most 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. Of course that doesn't mean that it will shoot in your particular rifle but I've had fairly good results out of the ones I've loaded for.

that sounds like a good place to start, would you recomend using a solid (jacketed?) buttet for the occasional hog. i plan on using this load for coyotes mainly? thanks E

If you are talking about the load I mentioned that is a max load in my gun the casing is nearly level full. I have chronoed it out of a 22" barrel at 3450. I would advise starting at 57-57.5. I wouldn't shoot a hog with them but it will cut a coyote in half. It will probably work on a hog just need good shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.