9.3x62 for North America

i got the bug to build something different after some thought and a long talk with an experienced hunter. i settled on the 9.3x62mm using a savage 111 a Shaw prefit barrel and a boyds stock im currently working up a load with 270 gr speers and imr 3031. if i go with hammers I'm going with the 240gr primary use is going to be black bear hunting

This is how I'd order a 9.3x62 barrel for my Savage LA. :p Shaw Barrels
IMG_0204.jpeg

With that new Hammer, it would seem the old 9.3 has ballistics that are superior to traditional 30-06 loads. It's no 270 in the speed department, but I'd guess it's a solid 500 yard performer at my elevation.
It always floors me how if a cartridge and bullet is over .30 cal (and not a .338 magnum of some kind) it's relegated to being only good for brushwork or close range thumping. I mean they're great for that and the .26-.30" cal pills make a lot more sense for longer range BUT…

I know folks who think nothing of it to use a .308 Winchester or .30-06 at distances WAAAAAY beyond 400 yards, but while they admire its "thumping power" they describe my .358 Norma as a "neat brush gun". And my 8mm mauser might as well be a slingshot 🤣.

The 8mm when loaded properly is more horsepower than the .308 with an equivalent trajectory, thumps as hard as the .30-06 with less powder and a shorter barrel.

The .358 Norma spits bullets 100 grains heavier than the .30-06 at equal velocity. Neither of these have ultra high bc bullets, but by that same token the .308 can't drive the ultra high bc .30 cal bullets very fast at all….the point is, a 250 grain interlock spire point at 2900 fps is NOT just for brush hunting!

The 9.3x62 is a good bit slower…but people talk about it like it's just a big .30-30. They'd be surprised perhaps to see how much flatter it can be made to shoot than any .30-30, cartridges like this are among the most genuinely useful all around hunting cartridges on earth.

I don't have either of the following so I'm not biased that way: if I had to pick between a 7mm mag of some kind or a 9.3x62 for a "one gun for everything in North America" rifle it'd be the 9.3 without a second thought.

It always floors me how if a cartridge and bullet is over .30 cal (and not a .338 magnum of some kind) it's relegated to being only good for brushwork or close range thumping. I mean they're great for that and the .26-.30" cal pills make a lot more sense for longer range BUT…

I know folks who think nothing of it to use a .308 Winchester or .30-06 at distances WAAAAAY beyond 400 yards, but while they admire its "thumping power" they describe my .358 Norma as a "neat brush gun". And my 8mm mauser might as well be a slingshot 🤣.

The 8mm when loaded properly is more horsepower than the .308 with an equivalent trajectory, thumps as hard as the .30-06 with less powder and a shorter barrel.

The .358 Norma spits bullets 100 grains heavier than the .30-06 at equal velocity. Neither of these have ultra high bc bullets, but by that same token the .308 can't drive the ultra high bc .30 cal bullets very fast at all….the point is, a 250 grain interlock spire point at 2900 fps is NOT just for brush hunting!

The 9.3x62 is a good bit slower…but people talk about it like it's just a big .30-30. They'd be surprised perhaps to see how much flatter it can be made to shoot than any .30-30, cartridges like this are among the most genuinely useful all around hunting cartridges on earth.

I don't have either of the following so I'm not biased that way: if I had to pick between a 7mm mag of some kind or a 9.3x62 for a "one gun for everything in North America" rifle it'd be the 9.3 without a second thought.
You and I think the same. Well stated 👌

I enjoy my ole 9.3x62 Husqvarna it has flattened every critter I have had the opportunity to get in my sights. Usually drt or a very shot tracking job and it doesn't bloodshot the hell out of an animal like some of the fast magnums do. Great dark woods bear and elk rifle that thumps critters. 🍻

Last edited:
Did he mean 2750 fps or 2750 feet elevation instead of the 5000 you posted? Y'all are making me feel like you're looking down on me! 🤣. I'm only at 1100 feet above sea level.
Yeah, I was thinking FPS, because it takes a lot more ele for a feller to say he's at ele! 😆

Did he mean 2750 fps or 2750 feet elevation instead of the 5000 you posted? Y'all are making me feel like you're looking down on me! 🤣. I'm only at 1100 feet above sea level.
2750fps (based off claimed 2765 from review on Hammer's page).
I hunt between 4k and 7k feet asl.

Attachments

• IMG_8419.png
    IMG_8419.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 22
I've been debating the same cartridge myself but already run the 35 whelen which is ultimately the same category really. I use my 35 whelen on everything it never has an issue on anything I could want to hunt. Bout to take it on my upcoming bison hunt

i shot this buffalo with a ms rifle in 9.3x62, dead is dead. i have a custom 98 mauser in that same caliber and it will do its job, if you do yours.

Attachments

• DSCN9565 (3).JPG
    DSCN9565 (3).JPG
    642.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN9559 (4).JPG
    DSCN9559 (4).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 46