9.3x62 for North America

It's rather sporty from the bench…..but, not unbearable! As getting older has made me a bit of a pu$$¥……I started using a PAST recoil shield now. I'd say that my maximum quality round count from the bench would be around 25 or 30 rounds. There would be no quality shooting from the bench for a few days after!

According to ShootersCalculator, the recoil is 57 ft/lbs and some change with the light (/250 grain) bullets I'm presently using. Hopefull, to soon build a load with my 270 grain LRX's…..guessing it to be similar! memtb
You must be a little masochistic to pop 25-30 rounds off at that recoil level willingly. 30 ft-lbs is about the limit of my comfort level and once it gets over 45ft-lbs I don't wanna shoot anymore.
I've never enjoyed getting punched unless I have to opportunity to punch back, then it's at least a fair trade lol That rifle definitely sounds like a do it all option though 👌

I loved mine, mine was in a sauer 200. I took it to Africa 2 times. Pretty darn versatile in the bushveld. I used mostly the 286 Privi ammo--but did hand load a little with 286s and 250s. I had a left hand friend that loved the rifle so I sold it to him. I still have first rights of negotiation! LOL.

I kind of agree on the one gun --if o had to prune down to one--either my 375 weatherby or my 375 RUM.

Attachments

• 9FD6E84D-2309-4ED0-9A9F-7D44CF19B76D.jpeg
    9FD6E84D-2309-4ED0-9A9F-7D44CF19B76D.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
You must be a little masochistic to pop 25-30 rounds off at that recoil level willingly. 30 ft-lbs is about the limit of my comfort level and once it gets over 45ft-lbs I don't wanna shoot anymore.
I've never enjoyed getting punched unless I have to opportunity to punch back, then it's at least a fair trade lol That rifle definitely sounds like a do it all option though 👌

From typical field positions on game…..it's rather "domesticated"!

My wife's hunting rifle gives about 38 + ft/lbs recoil……and she hates shooting it from the bench, and will do so only to verify zero! But, she has zero qualms about shooting game in the field. And, has taken several from prone position, without complaint! Somehow, shooting big game makes one much more tolerant of felt recoil! 😁 memtb

From typical field positions on game…..it's rather "domesticated"!

My wife's hunting rifle gives about 38 + ft/lbs recoil……and she hates shooting it from the bench, and will do so only to verify zero! But, she has zero qualms about shooting game in the field. And, has taken several from prone position, without complaint! Somehow, shooting big game makes one much more tolerant of felt recoil! 😁 memtb
How fast can you push those 250s in the improved case? I'd guess the powder capacity is quite an improvement over the original case. I'm guessing you're even beating a 375 Weatherby.

I ran these 250 TTSX's up to 3160, but the groups were starting to open up! Backed down to 3130 which appeared to be the "sweet spot"! There were no obvious pressure signs at the 3160, but, I thought I'd probably hit pressure before the next "sweet spot"!

I hated the though of going with light bullets, but it was the only high (ish) BC offering by Barnes at the time! I bought a bunch of them…..then they brought out the 270 LRX ! 🤬🤬🤬 memtb

Been thinking about this round for a long time and am finally about to pull the trigger on one.
Anyone use this as their all around for North America?
I saw a load on Hammer's website showing 2765fps with the 258gr Hammer! That load takes this round into a different realm and shows 2000ft/lbs out to 500 yards and over 1800' to boot! I know a lot of guys don't consider that long range, but for most of where I hunt, that'd be a pretty long shot. I figure there's not really anything in the PNW that would stand up to that.
Just curious and getting itchy as hunting season gets closer.
I'm going to post my Sauer 100 XT + 180 rds of ammo ( Nosler & Hornady) in the classifieds later today or tomorrow if interested. I live in Oregon, fyi.

I have a 9.3x64 at the builders on a Mauser action. I have a 9.3/375 flanged wildcat in a Winchester single shot replica. I'd like to be able to shoot lighter bullets in both of these rifles but the only "lightweights" available are 185gr loaded ammo in 9.3x64 by RWS. And now, as I understand, RWS has stopped importing to the US! As a workaround I have been cutting down (bandsaw) my supply of Barnes 286 TSX's to 225gr and my 250's down to 210gr. I have not fired them in a load yet but I'm hopeful... :oops:

I have a 9.3x64 at the builders on a Mauser action. I have a 9.3/375 flanged wildcat in a Winchester single shot replica. I'd like to be able to shoot lighter bullets in both of these rifles but the only "lightweights" available are 185gr loaded ammo in 9.3x64 by RWS. And now, as I understand, RWS has stopped importing to the US! As a workaround I have been cutting down (bandsaw) my supply of Barnes 286 TSX's to 225gr and my 250's down to 210gr. I have not fired them in a load yet but I'm hopeful... :oops:
I've entertained thoughts of doing things like that but good grief you actually did it man! Let us know how that goes.

I have a CZ 550 Mannlicher 9.3x62. 20.5" barrel moves 286gr Hornady 2390fps and 250 Accubond 2525-50fps.
I would go Hammer 240gr for the 9.3 and get that speed up. I bet the Hammers would be great. I've not shot anything with mine but paper for the past 10yrs...

59-60gr Varget in PPU brass.

I have a CZ 550 Mannlicher 9.3x62. 20.5" barrel moves 286gr Hornady 2390fps and 250 Accubond 2525-50fps.
I would go Hammer 240gr for the 9.3 and get that speed up. I bet the Hammers would be great. I've not shot anything with mine but paper for the past 10yrs...

59-60gr Varget in PPU brass.
It's a pretty dramatic BC shift going from the 240 to the 258. I'm not sure I'd get enough boost in velocity for the trade to be worth it.
Anyone you know who's loading that 240gr Hammer?

It's a pretty dramatic BC shift going from the 240 to the 258. I'm not sure I'd get enough boost in velocity for the trade to be worth it.
Anyone you know who's loading that 240gr Hammer?
I do not, I don't see any loads listed for it. I would bet 60gr of Varget would get it done.
The 9.3 is more a close range thumper. I would limit to 300yds. Out to 200yds murder city!

I do not, I don't see any loads listed for it. I would bet 60gr of Varget would get it done.
The 9.3 is more a close range thumper. I would limit to 300yds. Out to 200yds murder city!
With that new Hammer, it would seem the old 9.3 has ballistics that are superior to traditional 30-06 loads. It's no 270 in the speed department, but I'd guess it's a solid 500 yard performer at my elevation.