9.3x62 conversation

Ckgworks

I'm snowed in, sick off reading news that is depressing so I'm dreaming of my next project. I have a left handed Mauser 3000, that I finally decided to rebarrel to 9.3x62. I wanted to keep it in a Mauser heritage and this caliber fills a void for me. My plan is a 22" light weight barrel but having never shot one, I'd like some thoughts on what weight you would try hit? I was thinking 7.5-8 pounds all in. I have a set of express sights for it, and may but a low power 1-4ish scope on it, but in any event the optics won't add much weight. Another opinion I'd like some thoughts on is finish...... I have a rust bluing setup and had planned on doing a CM barrel and keeping it 100% authentic, however when this rifle gets used, it's probably going to get used. Do you go stainless and cerecote and move on, or blue? I finally rounded up enough reloading components to move forward with this so about all I have left is to get the barrel ordered. Right now, I see McGowan sells a 9.3 barrel as well as Preferred Barrel, Bugholes has a Willson stainless but it's a bit heavier then I want to go...Any other options? Any favorite bullets you use in 9.3? Any other info or thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated!

Sounds like a great little project. 9.3x62's have a bit of a following up here in Canada. I have owned one and shot couple others. As far as barrel contour goes, going a little thicker than you think might not be a bad thing.

I'm guessing the action and stock have a combined weight of about 4.5lbs. Finished with a light barrel, it could result in a whippy combination. .366 is a pretty good sized hole

A heavier barrel (closer to 4lbs I would think) is going to provide a better balance. It'll point better and be easier to hold steady. It'll be more controllable under recoil too. I wouldn't say recoil is severe, but a little more weight out front helps tame the muzzle rise, especially with that much drop at the heel.

Speaking of which, that stock begs for express sights. Just my opinion.

Express sights beg for bluing...

But then there is practicality. Stainless/ceracote and a 1-4x all the way! I feel your dilemma there, for sure, especially having hunted on the wet (west) coast.

As far as projectiles are concerned, what are your goals?

Point taken......the 06 barrel currently on is really whippy which is why it's coming off.
I have a couple 2 leaf sights, and one 3 leaf. I really can't see this being much more than a close range gun so I'm kinda committed to the express sights......But I really can't visualize it any other way than blued.
As far as projectiles go, I thought of trying to get 2 bullets. One like a 250 gr Accubond for the few times I actually rifle elk hunt the wet coast, and a heavy load ready for AK bears if I ever make it back. It seems they were built around the 286 grain but wondering if anyone has had luck with heavier. I saw Noz Partition in 286 and seemed to have good Performance reviews. I guess in a nut shell, what would the ideal bear bullet for this be?
I don't rifle hunt much except deer, so really it's probably not going to get used much except for when I bring youth elk hunting, or as a bear gun.
Thanks- I was hoping someone who's had one would reply!

286 partition is an excellent bullet. I have used on moose out to 300 yards. The Speer 270gr bullet is very soft and I wouldn't trust it on anything bigger than a whitetail.

Good to know on the Speers! Valuable info this day and age......I was able to pick up a bunch of cheap Prvi 286 SP to get me started and to give me time to watch for what I wanted......There was a time when I didn't mind "trying" bullets, but the thought of using primers on lack luster bullets makes me cringe today!

I shot a small bull moose in the neck at 15-20 feet with that 270 Speer. Completely came apart, didn't exit and didn't break the spine. Turned into dust, it did quite a bit of meat damage. I was unimpressed. The 286 partition has performed textbook every time

No mauser lineage in mine. Lefthanded 700, pacnor stainless #3, NECG sights, Mcmillan classic stock, sturdy ring and base setup, black teflon coated stainless. It will routinely group 3 touching with 286 Barnes, 286 Hornady . Just got in some 250 accubonds to try out. I do like it a lot.

The budget build would be to find a lefty Ruger in 375 Ruger and pretend it was a 9.3x62. Best of luck on your project.

I got a CZ 550M Full Length stock 20.5". 250 Nosler Accubonds, Privi 286 and Hornady 286 all print bug holes. Easiest gun I've ever loaded for. Varget and AA2520 can't go wrong.

@KurtB
What's the barrel length on that, and have you ever weighed it? I like it.....the Teflon coating looks sharp on it.

Good to hear on AA2520, another option but too bad I need it for my Grendel! I do have Varget and Reloader15 I'm hoping to try in it.

@KurtB
What's the barrel length on that, and have you ever weighed it? I like it.....the Teflon coating looks sharp on it.

Good to hear on AA2520, another option but too bad I need it for my Grendel! I do have Varget and Reloader15 I'm hoping to try in it.
You're golden with Varget, 286gr 58-59gr max loads. The 250 Accubonds are a toughly constructed bullet in this caliber. It'd punch a brown down. Lol

@KurtB

22.75" length on barrel. Weighs 8.75 pounds with seekins rail, seekins rings, and 20 ounce NXS on it.

I had a left handed Sauer 200 in a 2 barrel set...308 win and 9.3x62...first gun I took to Africa many moons ago...I shot 286 oryx and woodleigh bullets. I also I think in was a 232 naturalis---mono copper bullet...did a fair job on game if I remember. 9.3x62 is the most punch on game with the least punch on your shoulder you can get. It will be a awesome build

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 91