869 vs the pack

nksmfamjp

I need to make an investment….well, just buy some powder!

I'm getting set to load 28 Sherman Mag. I have 4lbs of R26, but it is supplying 2-3 other rifles right now!

I can get Hodgdon 869 now. Others like Re33, Re50, H1000, N570, and Retumbo are nearly impossible to find.

Anybody have experience with 869 in a big magnum? Ok? Temperature sensitive? Is it ball powder?

Yes it is ball powder, originally was developed for 20mm cannon fodder.
I really like it, it burns cooler than all extruded powder and releases a lot of gas for it's size.
Gets finicky at max pressure, a small increase can go sky high with little warning, but most cases don't have enough space in them for this to happen regularly.
My 338-416 Rigby Improves loves the stuff, but it has runout in Australia and no one is bringing it in anymore, had to substitute H50BMG with it.

Cheers.

I'm hoping we start seeing a lot of Hodgdon when the ships in LA get unloaded, so this is short term thinking: US869 is pretty much everywhere today, also Ramshot LRT has been around a lot lately. Get a couple pounds of each to play with until the kegs drop, and keep watching for the kegs.