8.6 Creedmoor

The creed case is ideal for 6.5 but with the heavy bullets of 7mm that might be a different story. Lot of difference between 143 bullets and 180 in 7mm.
Ackley worked with the 7mm mauser case a lot. Ackley improving it to several calibers. One time i remember of him experimenting with a 308x1.5. He chronographed a 150 hunting bullet at i believe 2500. He loved efficiency, and disliked overbore cartridges. He was what got me on the 280ai, 10 years before nosler applied to saami.

6.5 Creedmoor was invented because no one saw the potential of the 260. Put it in a slightly altered case and package it with a HUGE media campaign to roll out the new Wunderkind and Viola, everyone must have one. PT Barnum said it best; "there's one born every minute". But hey, it's good for the industry

I have not ben impressed with the CM ether, I'm like others have said, just keep the 260. As far as the 8.6 CM goes I also see no need unless you want to look at a 22lr with a magnifying glass With out the magnifying glass, HAHA. I guess their for people who just shoot and not hunt, no recoil and punch big holes in paper. All in what turns your crank. I'll stick with my 270 Win. an 35 Whelen, they ben getting it done since the 1920's.

6.5 Creedmoor was invented because no one saw the potential of the 260. Put it in a slightly altered case and package it with a HUGE media campaign to roll out the new Wunderkind and Viola, everyone must have one. PT Barnum said it best; "there's one born every minute". But hey, it's good for the industry

Capitalism at its best. One company took advantage of an opportunity and succeeded. One company totally missed the boat. :cool:

Well when the company that released the .260 didn't support or promote it as anything different then why should we do it for them? The .260 was designed to shoot the 140gr RN bullets for hunting which puts it at a disadvantage with its standard 9 twist. Just look at the ballistics, the .260 as a hunting cartridge provides almost no advantage over a .308 shooting 150gr bullets out to 300 yards.

The Creedmoor has an advantage in the fact it was designed specifically around shooting the 140 class bullets for long range target shooting which is currently the growning segment of the market. The Creedmoor was marketed to compete in the long range target shooting area that was occupied by the .308 shooting the 175gr Sierra MatchKing out past 500 yards, something that it beats quite handily in drop and drift.

The only people I hear complain about the Creedmoor are the ones who own a .260 and are annoyed that the Creedmoor became more popular. Basically .260 shooters act like a bunch of hipsters. If Remington was actually in tune with the market they would have retooled the .260 right when the Creedmoor started getting popular and rode the 6.5 craze right along with the Creedmoor. Instead they ignored the market, just like with the 6.5 SAUM until hornady filled the niche like they are doing with the PRC

Yes you are right, the ball was dropped when they started the 260, no support. When i bought the first 260 around 1997, it arrived at the store bfore the ammo did. No problem, ordered 7mm08 brass from midway and sierra 120's. Called sierra and they already had load data. This gun has never had a factory round fired thru it.
I am using a model seven with slow twist but 120's are all i need on deer here. It will do 3/4 moa easily at 100 yds. This is from a model seven. Everybody claims of getting 2 to 4 inch groups.
Believe if i tried 140's thru it. It would have been a flop also

Well when the company that released the .260 didn't support or promote it as anything different then why should we do it for them? The .260 was designed to shoot the 140gr RN bullets for hunting which puts it at a disadvantage with its standard 9 twist. Just look at the ballistics, the .260 as a hunting cartridge provides almost no advantage over a .308 shooting 150gr bullets out to 300 yards.

The Creedmoor has an advantage in the fact it was designed specifically around shooting the 140 class bullets for long range target shooting which is currently the growning segment of the market. The Creedmoor was marketed to compete in the long range target shooting area that was occupied by the .308 shooting the 175gr Sierra MatchKing out past 500 yards, something that it beats quite handily in drop and drift.

The only people I hear complain about the Creedmoor are the ones who own a .260 and are annoyed that the Creedmoor became more popular. Basically .260 shooters act like a bunch of hipsters. If Remington was actually in tune with the market they would have retooled the .260 right when the Creedmoor started getting popular and rode the 6.5 craze right along with the Creedmoor. Instead they ignored the market, just like with the 6.5 SAUM until hornady filled the niche like they are doing with the PRC
Remington messed up from the start, witch was long before the 6.5 CM was around. The 260 had all ready ben in the bench rest shoot as a wild cat for years. But Remington thought it would be cool to market it as a hunting competitor to the 270 Win. and not for all it had ben being used for and where it's roots were.

I actually think most people get annoyed not because the CM is more popular, but because many of the CM horde believe everything they read online and will ignorantly argue how much better the CM is.......I reload and have absolutely no reason to switch from the 260.....that said, the available, quality, on your local store shelf factory ammo for the CM makes it a no brainer for a non-reloader.

With over 38 years of hunting and 30 reloading I don't see anywhere subsonic and hunting belong in the same sentence. I have the creedmore for a kids rifle because there not going to get the recoil bug in there development. But knowing the ballistics and energy on it, it's a deer and antelope rifle. You can argue all day long it will kill an elk out to 1000 yards but balistcs wise it don't have the energy to get over 900lbs. You can argue vld or eldx all you want until you hit an elk rib at 300 yards and the bullet blows appart and doesn't penetrate. Been there seen that. 6.5 callibers are a great rounds with the power behind it and the right bullet for long range hunting. I prefer the 264 win mag 3400fps and the 6.5-284 2980 fps with 140 grn G1 sst using Retumbo or H1000 mag primers both do the job with less ES and consistency. But our go to is the game over 338 lapua mag for elk at extreme range.

It's neat but that's about it. What's the point in a subsonic cartridge without subsonic rated expanding bullets. There are some wicked bullets available for 300blk and .458 socom.