8.6 Creedmoor

Trouble maker !!!! :rolleyes:

This should get a debate started.

Like everyone else, I have an opinion on this type of cartridge.
I have no place for a poor performing cartridge so what ever this will do there are already cartridges that will do the same with no problems.

The Creedmoor is a good cartridge and has it's place, but to stuff a 338 bullet in it and then load it down makes no sense to me other than living off the 6.5 Creedmoor,s reputation in an effort to sell this cartridge.

J D Jones has made just about every subsonic cartridge known to man from a 6 mm to a .50 caliber and although interesting and fun to shoot, have no place in "my" arsenal. Why have a rifle that can be out done in every way by a pistol?

In my opinion, Big Bullets Deserve/need Big cases.

I can understand why someone wants something different, But in my opinion it is going the wrong way. The object is to improve performance not reduce it.

This is of coarse just my opinion and point of view, it is not intended to start an argument. I like to hear other peoples opinions and this should get them going. Sometimes we can screw a great cartridge like the 6.5 CM up and should just leave it alone. :):):)

J E CUSTOM

I am in agreement that a 338 needs to be in a big case. If I am going to shoot a 338, I want something that is going to be a true hammer. At some point, there will be a of rationalization on cartridges. We have seen it before and it will most likely happen again. I prefer a cartridge that is going to have some sort of respectable market support in the future as chasing brass and dies gets old. If I want a paperweight, there is a much cheaper and easier way to acquire one.

The interesting thing is the reference to the 338 Federal.

"IF" I were going to build a 338 Subsonic, It would be the 338 Federal because it has the same COAL as the 8.6 CM and If you seated the bullet to the same COAL in both cases the big bullet would infringe on the case capacity of the 338 Fed enough to lower case capacity to near the same as the 8.6 CM for subsonic loading.

So In essence, you could have two rifles in one, One with performance and one with subsonic abilities and use standard components. This is the real benefit of the 338 Federal.

Think about it .

J E CUSTOM

Trouble maker !!!! :rolleyes:

This should get a debate started.

Like everyone else, I have an opinion on this type of cartridge.
I have no place for a poor performing cartridge so what ever this will do there are already cartridges that will do the same with no problems.

The Creedmoor is a good cartridge and has it's place, but to stuff a 338 bullet in it and then load it down makes no sense to me other than living off the 6.5 Creedmoor,s reputation in an effort to sell this cartridge.

J D Jones has made just about every subsonic cartridge known to man from a 6 mm to a .50 caliber and although interesting and fun to shoot, have no place in "my" arsenal. Why have a rifle that can be out done in every way by a pistol?

In my opinion, Big Bullets Deserve/need Big cases.

I can understand why someone wants something different, But in my opinion it is going the wrong way. The object is to improve performance not reduce it.

This is of coarse just my opinion and point of view, it is not intended to start an argument. I like to hear other peoples opinions and this should get them going. Sometimes we can screw a great cartridge like the 6.5 CM up and should just leave it alone. :):):)

J E CUSTOM

L:DL! Mission accomplished. :cool:

The interesting thing is the reference to the 338 Federal.

"IF" I were going to build a 338 Subsonic, It would be the 338 Federal because it has the same COAL as the 8.6 CM and If you seated the bullet to the same COAL in both cases the big bullet would infringe on the case capacity of the 338 Fed enough to lower case capacity to near the same as the 8.6 CM for subsonic loading.

So In essence, you could have two rifles in one, One with performance and one with subsonic abilities and use standard components. This is the real benefit of the 338 Federal.

Think about it .

J E CUSTOM
That was my first thought to: why not use a 338 fed.

I'm surprised a 7mm creed hasn't come out and the 30tc hasnt made a comeback lol

That was my first thought to: why not use a 338 fed.

I'm surprised a 7mm creed hasn't come out and the 30tc hasnt made a comeback lol
I'd build a 7mm creed. Reason it hasn't caught on is because everyone is into 6.5mm and 30 cal. Seems people yawn at the 7mms. Although with the new 7mm bullets they seem to be getting more attention lately. The 7mm creed would be pretty cool I think.

I'd build a 7mm creed. Reason it hasn't caught on is because everyone is into 6.5mm and 30 cal. Seems people yawn at the 7mms. Although with the new 7mm bullets they seem to be getting more attention lately. The 7mm creed would be pretty cool I think.
7MM life starts at the 7RM or 280AI and goes up in power/speed from there, not down.

Hope i am wrong. I never got on the creedmoor bus, but i believe it will go the way of the hula hoop. Bullet and gun manufacturers have just about limited out. Remember how the 7mm rm was once so popular, it and the new rem 700 rifle, had Warren page, Bob hagel, and other writers jumping for joy..

Hope i am wrong. I never got on the creedmoor bus, but i believe it will go the way of the hula hoop. Bullet and gun manufacturers have just about limited out. Remember how the 7mm rm was once so popular, it and the new rem 700 rifle, had Warren page, Bob hagel, and other writers jumping for joy..
A 8.6 creed won't touch the hula hoops success. The 6.5 creed will remain popular just as the 7rm has also remained popular, it still is the 7mm cartridge people first think of when it comes to that caliber

Education and entertainment remain 2 good reasons to play the game. More folks entertained and education is good for overall health of the sport, and our right to keep playing the game.

There is a lot of stuff that's been done before, and better, but not by me!o_O Yet!

Recent Posts