8.5" at 1,000 yds?

It's less than 1 MOA at a thousand. I would say that's pretty solid. The key here is where is it's first round impact (I'm assuming it's a hunting rifle), does this rifle shoot consistently like this, and was this a 2, 3, 5 shot group??? :confused:

All Sako rifles I have owned flat out shoot for factory rifles. I would ask what ammo or to what extent he went to in load dev for this 8.5" group.
My main concern here would be rd count on the barrel, you do not want to over pay to only rebarrel after 100 rds of your own.

My preference for hunting is a 5" minimum at any distance. As noted yer cold bore shot is the most critical...

All Sako rifles I have owned flat out shoot for factory rifles. I would ask what ammo or to what extent he went to in load dev for this 8.5" group.
My main concern here would be rd count on the barrel, you do not want to over pay to only rebarrel after 100 rds of your own.

good point about load dev. Also, if no load dev what factory ammo did it shoot? Is that ammo still available?

For example the 10 ring on a 1,000 yard F-class target is 10 inches. X-ring is 5 inches. 8.5 inch group on a hunting rifle is very good in my opinion. if the rifle will really shoot that well.

I'm thinking 3 shot group with plenty of rest in between shots/groups.

I would say yes, as you said a "good group" but not a great group. If with factory ammo then my answer would lean more great than good. If it (and the shooter) did it consistently would be the question. One group may have been a fluke, or may show potential.
they are all in the kill zone of a moose but not a grate group

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.