Setting Up a 100-600 yds rifle

kherzfeldt

New Winchester 300 WSM
Looking at the Trijicon 5 x 20 x 50
Mil Dot, Green
Berger 180 , High balistic C, 2950 fps

What bases, ring combo do you recommend and will I require shims,

I will be shooting 100- 600 most of the time but may wish to extend out to 1000 if possibe with this package. Thanks KLH

Hey,

Have you taken a look at Vortex. I hear they are nice. Also, Leupold has some solid-looking rings, and they work well for long range.

I hate to bad mouth Trigicon in as much as they are a Michigan company not too far from where I live but, there are better, less expensive scopes out there.

I'm going to go with the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16 SFP MOA., about 1/2 the price of the Tridge and as good if not better optically. I have 4 at last count.

Personally, I think all Trigicons' in any variety are overpriced. You see, they are a big government supplier of optics and ranging systems so as far as they are concerned, everyone has deep pockets (like the government) and thats not true.

I use Warne or Talley rings on every rifle but thats personal preference. Just be sure to lap them and evenly torque the bases and ring halves with a dab of blue threadlocker on each fastener.

Don not use locktite on the rings. Bases yes, you don't want them coming loose. The rings will be fine and need a lot less torque than most people think.

I use the Leupold STD Long Range base (15MOA) with Burris Signatur STD rings with inserts. Additionally, if using a scope w/1" tube, I get the insert kit to add the +/- .020" inserts. These will add another 20MOA to your set up.
I have this on a Remington Sendero in .25-06 Remington, a Savage 112 in 6.5-284 Norma and a Winchester SA 70 HVB in .243 Winchester. Good solid setup with zero issues. Natural alignment with no marring (NO lapping required). Just not "tacti-cool". :{

Don not use locktite on the rings. Bases yes, you don't want them coming loose. The rings will be fine and need a lot less torque than most people think.

True to the conventional wisdom. But has let me down before so I bed and bond bases, use locktight on EVERYTHIING: action screws, bases, rings, acd, aci ,,,,,,,,everything. Yes it is overkill but it does not hurt a thing and gives me piece of mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.