Setting up a new Scope

I also use the Wheeler tool, and it works pretty darn good. But, if you don't want to buy a tool just level the action in a vice and set a piece of paper out with crosshairs drawn on it, making sure both lines are level/plumb. Then just fiddle with the scope until your reticle lines up with the lines drawn on the paper. Just make sure that the action and target remain level throughout the process. Also, the further away the target the better.

Here is a trick I used which I found over on snipershide.net.

If you don't have a set of automotive feeler guages, run down a buy a set; probably $5-10. The kind that are all connected together at one end. Get you scope in the rings with the top halves on but loose enough you can just turn the scope. Set the guages so their thick enough to just slip between the top of your 1 piece base and the bottom of the turret housing. When you think it's level, see if you can get one more feeler guage into the whole fray to make it thicker and and insure the scope is plumb with the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.