My wife and I and our .224 Valkyrie 1,000 yard journey....

Thx Farmer07. Much appreciated.
We used the Federal 90 grain SMK @ 2700 feet velocity. Worked well but expensive at $26 a box. Next step is to see how the Federal 75 grain boat tail @ 3000 feet velocity works. Especially due to the fact that they're only $11 per box. I'll be back into reloading in the next year or so.

Thx Farmer07. Much appreciated.
We used the Federal 90 grain SMK @ 2700 feet velocity. Worked well but expensive at $26 a box. Next step is to see how the Federal 75 grain boat tail @ 3000 feet velocity works. Especially due to the fact that they're only $11 per box. I'll be back into reloading in the next year or so.
I ordered me some ammo from midway and https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...rtsman/224-valkyrie-rifle-ammunition-for-sale.....keep an eye out between this place and midway they run sales here and there.

I'm very happy to hear your wife and you were able to reach the goals that you all set for yourselfs with this nice new .224 Valkyrie cartridge!!!! Hope you keep up the good work to keep hitting 1k and then some!!!
Was you using factory loads or hand loads?
We used the Federal 90 grain SMK. I'll be back to reloading in a year or so. Thanks.

Great story! I'm trying to get my me and my wife out to a longer range to try something more than 300yds. Which range did you go to? (I'm in palmer)

Great story! I'm trying to get my me and my wife out to a longer range to try something more than 300yds. Which range did you go to? (I'm in palmer)
Hey there fellow Alaskan...! We're in Palmer as well.....So, the only public 1,000 yard range in Alaska, south of Fairbanks, is The Upper Susitna Shooters Association. Located at mile post 94 about 15 miles south of the Talketna turn off.
The website is "susitnashooters.org" and the phone number is 907-733-3323.
Some points of interest: I can't remember how much it cost us exactly, but they have a fairly reasonable fee for a family yearly membership. Also, they have a link on their website to their calendar, but be advised, they've had some issues keeping it accurate. They often have the 50, 100, 300 & 1,000 yard ranges reserved for private use. We've made a couple trips all the way up there to shoot at the 1,000 yard range to find out it was reserved for a club event & we weren't allowed access =-/
But all in all it's a great range. No pesky range masters breathing down your neck even though they make regular drive throughs. They have a nice club house with restrooms. The 1,000 yard range is the farthest away from the club house but they do have porta potties at the 1,000 yard range. They have steel re-settable targets on the pistol range as well, which is fun being that you don't have to got down range to re-set them...Hope this helps...
Best of Luck....!
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.