7mm X .338 Lapua?

tt35

Looking at building another rifle in 7mm X .338 Lapua to launch the new 195 Berger. I like the consistency and case life of the Lapua brass compared to RUM brass. I'm considering going switch-barrel with a standard .338 Lapua or some improved version. I've ordered a Stiller TAC338 action. Any input on specific chamberings? I understand Kirby Allen has done the 7mm Allen cartridge. Give me your thoughts. With a break or suppressor, how heavy will this rifle need to be to be manageable? What else do I need to be thinking about?

We were just about to order a reamer for this as well. We will be doing an Ackley version with 40* shoulder similar to Kirby's. Our barrel is 28", will be braked with Kirby's Pain Killer, and expect it to come in about 10 -11 lbs. Like you, we like the Lapua brass. In these big hot rods the brass seems to be the short coming when using other stuff.

Steve

I'm glad to hear you bought a specific action, instead of adapting. I think in the end you'll be happier.

I really like the DE break I put on my .300 Win Mag., it's about 16 pounds with the ATACR 5-25x. You know way more suppressor stuff than I do. My .338 RUM is weighing in at about 11.5 pounds, and isn't bad to shoot recoil wise, but that weight barrel gets hot fast.

Have you picked a stock? I pay more attention to stocks as I get older, something adjustable for sure.

I doubt you're thinking about packing it into Hell's Canyon, so weight is kind of a purpose oriented type question.

I have a 7-338 Norma Imp. in the works for the 195's and a guy I just built a 6.5saum for wants to do a 7-338 Lapua Imp. As soon as he get's the parts together I'll be spinning one up. I'm going to use a bore rider throat in the 7-338 Norma Imp. to see if I can get to 3200fps with the 195's.

I really like the DE break I put on my .300 Win Mag., it's about 16 pounds with the ATACR 5-25x. You know way more suppressor stuff than I do. My .338 RUM is weighing in at about 11.5 pounds, and isn't bad to shoot recoil wise, but that weight barrel gets hot fast.

Have you picked a stock? I pay more attention to stocks as I get older, something adjustable for sure.

I doubt you're thinking about packing it into Hell's Canyon, so weight is kind of a purpose oriented type question.

Which break do you have on the .338RUM, Carl? Does 11.5# include your optic? Terry put a DE break on his 6.5 SAUM and said it works great. I haven't decided on the stock. A friend put the McMillan Gamescout on his .300RUM and the combination with his break was surprisingly gentle. As to Hell's Canyon, it would be a great place for such a rifle if I could get Ben to pack it in for me!

I'm not super concerned with stretching every fps I can out of the rifle. I just want to use good brass and launch that 195 at a decent rate. If I can get 3100 to 3200 out of it, I'd be a happy camper. :) I'd rather drop the pressure a little and have good case life and more forgiving pressures than push it to the max.

...........As to Hell's Canyon, it would be a great place for such a rifle if I could get Ben to pack it in for me!.............................

If Ben, and Gus hang out their shingle i'm always looking for a packer and a gun bearer.

The RUM is 11.5 with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x F1 on it, no sling or bipod. The 5-25x original ATACR that I had on it I believe is 8 ounces heavier.

The break on the RUM is a Vais. I've had it on a couple of rifles, it works but improvements have been made in both recoil reduction, and noise in the last 25 years.

I think your right about case, and barrel life not worth red lining, plenty of performance to be had at slightly reduced levels.

Kirby shot the 195's up to 3400 according to Bob Beck so 3100-3200 would just be putting along.

Yeah, Bob's the one who got me on this. Last year when he was here filming, he said, "The 195 Berger makes the 7mm RUM no longer overbore." Got me to thinking which is always a bad thing. :rolleyes:

My 300AX as it sits optic(NSX), bipod and sling is 14.25lbs. Recoil with 200gr accubonds at 3340 is quite mild with the Pain Killer brake, recoils a little more than my 243win. Rifle by itself is about 10.5lbs and sports a 26 inch barrel.

I'd opt for a 28 inch barrel for a 7-338lapua as I think 3100-3200fps could be achieved with mild pressures. Hope the first part helps

We have a 180g mono that we have just started testing that I am pretty sure will be the one. Should be able to run it at 3400 no sweat. Hopefully will be getting some range report on it soon.

Steve

Yeah, Bob's the one who got me on this. Last year when he was here filming, he said, "The 195 Berger makes the 7mm RUM no longer overbore." Got me to thinking which is always a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Once upon a time I built a rifle for a particular bullet. By the time the rifle was ready those bullets were no longer available. Rifle never performed as well as I would have liked, with what was available then.

I'd have enough bullets on hand to burn it out before I ordered a barrel/twist for it.

Even with a course change someone will buy those Berger bullets from you.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beast roar!

OK, so here is where I think I'm landing... I have a Stiller TAC3338 action and their 20 MOA rail. I'll put a Jewell in it. I'm thinking a Lilja three-groove eight-twist barrel at 28". It will be a Sendero contour with six flutes threaded 8X24 for a DE break and my suppressor. McMillan stock--leaning towards the A3 Sporter with left side flush cups and three swivels. As to bottom metal, I like the PT&G Obendorf extended floorplate with a Wyatt single stack box. A buddy has this for a RUM Improved and gets three cartridges in it.

I'm stoked.