7mm WSM

115vld

Guys I am about to switch from 257 Weatherby mag to 7mm WSM. I am running a Lilja #7 on my 257 but will be running a Shilen straight #7 HV. Its on a Weatherby mkV action sitting in a Micky A5 topped with a NF NXS 5.5-22x56. It did well for me in Alaska as I shot my 257 out to 2300 yards!!! That is no lie either. I will have pics up soon as soon as my dad emails them to me. Anyways, we are going to Africa next year and I wanted something with a little more punch than that of my 257 wby but wasnt too overkill.

What I need help with is getting a load started for the 168 gr Berger VLD. I love Berger bullets and have stopped buying any other brand all together. If any of you guys are running this setup please give me the dimensions of the load, rifle, altitude, and temp that you chronographed the load at.

Thanks a bunch guys,

Chase

Many guys use 4831SC but it didn't work out so well for me. My load for the 168vld is 59.8gr H4350 this gets 3060fps in my 26", 3-groove (1500ft elevation, 62 F). This load shoots 1/2 MOA at 700yds.

After shooting the 180gr Bergers this morning at 1037yds, I'm going to stop using the 168's. The conditions were very gusty/windy and the 180's showed their stuff. We were shooting at clay pigeons. The load I was using for the 180's was 66gr RL-25 (tuned down version of the load that set the UK 1000yd record).

You've probably already checked these out... but here's some good 7wsm articles...

Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker (7 Win Short Mag)

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter

Here's some great info on the 168 and 180gr VLD's (by a member here)...

http://bryanlitz.bravehost.com/articles/7mmNumberOne.pdf

http://bryanlitz.bravehost.com/articles/7mmNumberTwo.pdf

Thank you very much Lucas. I believe I will try the H4350 load as well as 70 gr of H1000. The reason I like H1000 is because of the extremely low SD it has given me in all temp tests I have tried on all my other magnums. Thanks again!!

Chase

I happen to have some H1000 too. I just don't have much experience with it. I may have to try it in the WSM. If you come up with a good load for it let me know...thanks Chase.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I use 69.0gr Retumbo with WLR primers to push a 162gr A-Max at 3034fps. It shoots so well I haven't worked another load yet. Also, I think I read an article where Berger is making some bullets with a thicker jacket. You probably know this already. Good luck on your hunt.
db

i am shooting a 7mm wsm that ssg built. i have also shot the 168 until i tried 180s i havent looked back. i just got back from hunting antilope and had to make a shot at 591 with gusting winds to 20mph. i am waiting to post pictures this week.

go with the 180s i am running 180s with h1000 at 3000 fps. you should talk to nate at ssg he just switched to a
7mm-300wsm and thinks it performs better.

go with the 180s i am running 180s with h1000 at 3000 fps. you should talk to nate at ssg he just switched to a
7mm-300wsm and thinks it performs better.

WOW!!! 3000fps with 180's is FAST out of a 7wsm!!! What is your charge with the H1000?? Should I get a 8.5 twist instead of 9??

Chase

I also recomend the 180 Bergers. I did not try the 168's. Just went from 162 a-max's to the 180's.
They stabilize in my 1:9" 24" Broughton 5C just fine.
I'm running them at 2900 with Retumbo, but have not tried H1000. I started load development with 4831, then Retumbo and found a .3" load with Retumbo, so stayed with it.

My fear with the Bergers was close range expansion or fragmentation. That was not an issue afterall. I shot a cow elk at about 100 yds through the boiler room last year. The results were near perfect to me, with a 2" exit and no meat loss.

I am happy with the chambering. How happy, well I'm building another 7WSM in a lightweight configuration. It seems to be the right balance of power for the game I hunt.

What are the differences that make the 7-300 WSM a better choice? Longer neck?

I have never had an exit with a Berger before. I have taken well over 75 white-tail and countless yotes and bobcats and just never have had a bullet exit! It might be because I am running a 115 VLD @ 3455 and it fragments just a wee bit!:D:D:D

Gidday, I know its a little off but close enough, in my 300 wsm Im running 178 AMaxs with 64 gr ADI 2209 with win mag primers getting around 2850 fps.
If it was me already having only 1 plains game hunt under my belt 300 or 7 mm WSM for plains game will be a fine choice, BUT I would be doing some loads with a Interbond or Accubond (any tough bullet) too. I shot my Kudu at 70 yrds my Impala at about 20 yrds Gemsbok at 330 yrds.
Africa is a box of chocolates, go prepared for any thing, BTW thems some tough critters their too!!

Just my 2c

Good luck

300wsmmad

Thank you very much for the info. I plan on developing a 180 thick wall Berger Load as well. I am waiting for them in the mail.

Chase

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.