7mm STW

silvertip-co

As a bit of an amateur ballastician and physics student, whenever I am bored with the inconsistencies of corporate life I read ballistics charts and tables and do occasional calculations.

That said, I see in my many many charts that the gravity defying 7mmSTW doesnt even really begin to drop until out about 400yrds. Was wondierng why this calibre isnt the most popular flat shooting thing ever to come down the pike. Do any of y'all use the 7STW and what kind of reports do you have on it for long range hunting and stuff? This thing seems like its the greatest since sliced bread and Newton himself might be amazed at its flat flight path. Seems liek the 7RemUltraMag might be right up there with it?.?.?

Comments...

I hunted African plains game last year (successfully) with a .270 and a .338, but it seemed to me that neither caliber was entirely satisfactory as an all around rifle for that type of hunting.

After a few months of mulling over the question of the best African plains game rifle; considering power, range, trajectory, recoil, and factory cartridge availablility, I decided that the 7 STW was the answer, and I've asked Kirby to build one for me in that caliber.

have had a Sako SS in the STW round for about 5 yrs now, shoot 140 gr accubonds and absolutely love it. Taken everything from coyotes to elk. Thinking about scoping up from a Leupy VX III to a NF for extra long range, but haven't decided yet. (why change something if it is working) Longest kill to date is 610 yds, but i will top that this fall.

Great Round!!

Silver-tip,
I use a kissing cousin performance wise to the STW (7mm Dakota). I really like mine and it is my all-around rig. I will be antelope hunting with it next week. Popped an elk at 666 yards last November with it-DRT.

I've been happy as can be with the good old 7mm Rem mag for quite a while now. Accurate, excellent killer, and easy on the shoulder.

The 7mm STW was designed to improve on the performance of the 7mm Rem mag, and it certainly provides a good dose of additional velocity. Absolutely beautiful the way a 7mm Rem mag can be simply re-chambered for the 7mm STW... I've certainly thought about it a few times over the years, but haven't ever taken that step, as the 7mm Rem mag continues to do just fine.

I'd think the only real drawbacks to the STW would be:

1. Limited brass supply - but they're easy to form.
2. More powder = more recoil & less barrel life.
3. Tougher to find ammo, whereas 7mm Rem mag ammo is everywhere.

Other than those three things, the 7 STW does indeed have a big advantage over the 7mm Rem mag, or most of the other 7's avail. Couple the big STW with a 175 Sierra Gameking or a 180 Berger VLD... Mighty fine long-range cartridge indeed... Uh oh... Am I talking myself into one??? Thought I'd gotten over that urge long ago...

While the STW is certainly a player in the long range arena, I chose to take a different approach.

I have a .300 WBY, necked down to .284, with a 35 degree shoulder and a .312 neck.

Before I left for Alaska, I did a real quick ladder for load development.

With the 180 Berger, I am at 80.5 gr of Retumbo, and 3200 fps. Accuracy is about an inch at 300 yds. I've been using .003 neck tension. I'm about two grains from max, and should top out at about 3300 fps with the 180 Berger. 9 twist 28" barrel.

Advantages to my approach... better brass, slightly more velocity.

The shoulder is darker as a result of annealing.

IMG_08592.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_07892.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
joel i agree nice stock when i emailed i was looking for a stock for the LSS i think the one im looking at would work just fine is it available whats model is it

JIM

While the STW is certainly a player in the long range arena, I chose to take a different approach.

I have a .300 WBY, necked down to .284, with a 35 degree shoulder and a .312 neck.

Before I left for Alaska, I did a real quick ladder for load development.

With the 180 Berger, I am at 80.5 gr of Retumbo, and 3200 fps. Accuracy is about an inch at 300 yds. I've been using .003 neck tension. I'm about two grains from max, and should top out at about 3300 fps with the 180 Berger. 9 twist 28" barrel.

Advantages to my approach... better brass, slightly more velocity.

The shoulder is darker as a result of annealing.

IMG_08592.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_07892.jpg
[/IMG]

Question: Isnt a 300wbymag necked down to .284 a 7mm wbymag ???

Thanks guys for all the 7STW responses. Wish there had been more.

Actually, it would be a 7/300 WBY if you leave the shoulder alone.

I have a 35 degree shoulder, which sort of puts it into the STW category.
The reason I chose this route is to push the 180's alot faster than the STW.

In a pinch, I can use STW brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts