7mm stw problems!!

I run 78gr. of R-25 behind the 160 AB. It gets 3250fps in a 24" barrel with zero pressure sign. BTW this load is extremely accurate. I also use 215 primers. The best of luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok I will get some rl-25 and stick with the 215 primers because I have alot of them. I will try the Rl-22 with some scirocco's I have. I haven't been real pleased with the scirocco's accuracy but I better shoot'em up. thanks again guys

You can see on one case where the falling block dragged on the casehead on closing so he's not over-resizing, my advise is bump the charge up in 1/2 grain increments till the velocity is where its sposed to be, then play with it a lil bit till extraction just starts to stick, then back down a bit
JS

Magnum primers also help with cold/cool weather performance. They offer much more consistant ignition as oppossed to a milder primer that just barely starts the fire. That's why I only use magnum primers in EVERYTHING! I bought a few 215's for my Weatherby's but now they are gone I use CCI-250's for 22-250 on up.

Even the extreme powders vary in velocity and pressure. I fell for that one back when Varget came out. Now I just use what gives me the speed I'm after and the least extreme spreads.

If you can get the action shut on neck sized only brass I believe that is the way to go. I use Lee Collet dies on everything I can. I haven't bumped a shoulder in over 10 years.

Dave Wilson, you mentioned playing with the sizing die so headspace would be only 1 or 2 thousandths. As there's only 3 thousandths difference between the go (.220-inch) and no-go (.223-inch) H&H headspace gages for this cartride which headspaces on the belt, how do you change the belt's position relative to the case head? If Freak's rifle is properly headspaced it already has proper headspace someplace between .220 and .223 inch which means your 2 thousandths max headspace requirement is probably already met.

If you mean to size fired cases such that their shoulder is repositioned so the case head to shoulder datum is no more than 2 thousandths inch less than bolt face to chamber shoulder datum, I understand. Depending on the case belt position relative to the chamber belt shoulder, the case may stop upon firing pin impact before its shoulder touches the chamber shoulder. This is an "iffy" situation and depends on several dimensions.

The above aside, I've always got best accuracy from H&H belted cases when they're new and unfired. If I full-length size fired cases back to original factory dimensions (including sizing the body all the way to the belt with a special body-sizing die) then they equal the accuracy of new cases. Traditional full-length sizing, neck-only or partial-neck sizing has always resulted in worse accuracy.

Bart, unfortunately no matter what the guages are,a belted cartridge has 2 sets of headspacing conditions.i agree with what you say if the belt headspacing should be within .003, the case shouldn't slide forward enough to cause the primers to flatten that much.and yes i was talking about adjusting the die to lessen the shoulder headspacing.i'm not a fan of neck sizing and would only consider it in a bolt action.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.