7mm stw

Sleepy Time

Well, took the new STW to the range today for the first time. Need some input.

24" barrel
75gr RL22
162 Amax
OAL 3.87

chronoed at 3030 fps

So my question is, what kind of velocities should i expect? Was hoping to get 3200 out of it.

load info welcome.

I'd work the load up a little more.I'm shooting 77.0grs of Reloader-22 with 160gr bullets @ around 3200fps.The 154gr Hornady IB will give me 3300fps with that same load.I could probably go up a grain or two more,but it's shooting good there so I stopped.

how long is your barrel? Wondering if some of the velocities I am reading are a product of 26" barrels.

Thanks.

Mine is 26".If your not max,try to work up a little more.Another thing you might try is a little faster powder,say Reloader-19,Ramshot Hunter,IMR or H 4831 or SUPERFORMANCE,to see if you can get a little more with the shorter barrel.I remember reading an article from Layne Simpson and he too said you need at least a 26" barrel to get good performance from the 7STW.But like I said,a different powder can make a big difference and some of the powders I mentioned were not around when the article was published.

its an old wives tale that faster powders give more veloicity in shorter barrels. What gives the highest velocity in a 26 inch barrel will about allways give you the highest velocity in a 24 inch barrel too or for that matter a 20 inch barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.