7mm stw problems!!

dodgefreak8

hey everyone I have some questions about my stw. I am loading for a ruger no.1 with 26" barrel. My load consists of 160gr accubond with 80gr of H-1000 and fed 215M primers , the bullet is seated .020" from the lands. My problem is i can't touch 3200fps like I want to with this load. I am already getting flattened primers. I don't know how to measure case head expansion so I don't know about that. My velocity was around 3090fps. I have bought some RL-22 but I don't know were to start with this powder. Should I try a different primer or what here. My brass is winchester brass also if that helps. help me out here people..

I agree w/HG.

Alliant says a 160gr Aframe w/80gr of RL-25 gets you to where you want to be. A 160gr Nosler partition and 79gr RL-22 get the same published velocity. Pressures are listed as 62k

Also, flat primers are a subjective thing. You largest concern with the #1 is sticky cases. The #1 doesn't have much camming ability.

I'd kind of sneak up on a max load and watch for just a hint of stickness then back off a bit. Then you have what you have. I'd be a real bummer to need a second shot and have a stuck case.

I've tried this in my #1 375 H&H but get to too much recoil before I get anywhere near too much pressure with the 300gr bullets.

I had the same problem when I first began load developement for my stw, a tech from sierra said that flattened primers when using fed 215's by itself was no big deal, they have a soft cup.check for sticky extraction and case head expansion. I can achieve 3200 fps with wc872 and 160 accbds. always used 140's with the H1000.
JS

[ QUOTE ]
just curious are the alliant powders "extreme" powders like the hodgon powders? does temp effect them like some other powders? Also what primers do you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: Nope....

Longer answer: Alliant powders are fairly temperature sensitive. For example an RL-22 270 Win load and a 140gr Hornady w/a MV of 3200 during the warm months reduces to 3070 in the winter months.

Rumor has it that RL-22 is the floor sweepings from Norma's MRP. By floor sweepings I mean a lower grade.

All powders are temp sensitive to some extent. RL-22 shoots best in all of my rifles, I just compensate the load for the season.

I also use Federal primers and don't worry much about flat primers until they start filling that small beveled ring around the primer pocket. When it gets to that point, pressures are a bit beyond what they should be.

[ QUOTE ]
I also use Federal primers and don't worry much about flat primers until they start filling that small beveled ring around the primer pocket. When it gets to that point, pressures are a bit beyond what they should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shoot a #1 in 7mm Wby and use the Fed 215M and I watch that small bevel too. When I get that I back down one notch (sometimes). Ha Ha

I would be cautious about using the 160 partition loads for the Accubond. The parttions have a softer lead core, a softer copper jacket and a shorter bearing surface. Less pressure needed to get them to go down the barrel.

What I have found in 7mm wby is as follows:
Because of the "toughness" of the AB it resists deforming when it hits the lands.

I can get maybe a 100fps (1.5 grains more of RL22)more speed out of the "softer" Hornady 162 gr SST than than the 160AB.

The AB was more accurate and I wanted the accuracy and ability to break through lots of bones more than the speed.

I've been shooting the 162gr A-Max with 80.5gr of Retumbo and get 3,100 ft/sec from a 26" Hart barrel. This is not a maximum load in my rifle. However, it shoots <.5moa @ 200yds and is quite fast enough for most needs.

Shot this pronghorn at 465yds. Terminal performance was extreme. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
327063.JPG

Freak,if you size your cases too much this can also give flattened primers.might try playing with your sizer so you only have 1 or 2 thousands max of headspace.won't let the shell move forward when the firing pin hits the primer.

Dave may be on to something. I didn't mention it but I only neck size my 7STW cases. I do not have any problems with feeding cases sized this way, even after several firings. Normally, I will push the shoulders back a few thousandths after 5 firings or so and then continue to neck size again. I get very good case life from my 7STW, often more then 10 reloads before I chuck them out and replace with new cases.

Shooting loads that are slightly less then maximum probably goes a long way into making this all work well.

here is a pic of 2 primers with this load.
swtprimers.jpg

the last 3 shot group I fired with this load was, 3093fps,3093fps,3072fps. 21fps difference could this be due to the magnumn primers? I have another suggestion from another forum that states to use fed 210M instead of 215M. Could this help?

[ QUOTE ]
also forgot to mention that this was the first load on this brass batch. I will definatly buy a neck sizer die though. thanks for the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

There it is.

Dave is right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (what do you know about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

(P.S. Dave W. I took your advice and went with the 1-8 twist - Thanks)

I would not drop to F210s I think it will give you flyers because of marginal ignition. You have big case and need positive ignition Sometimes a Rem or CCI mag primer is a little calmer than the Fed 215 and will reduce groups sizes if you have too much ignition.

BB, now just convince DC that i'm right about the deer here in Pa and we'll get you on the UN debating team!

i agree with the primers,wouldn't go to a 210.i'll bet a 162 a-max will fly out of that thing or a barnes triple shock if you like something sturdy.i'd also say BFD with the 3200 if you have good accuracy using the bullet you want.

if you have a FL die i'd back that out until you're just barely moving that shoulder.i wouldn't run out and get a neck die if you already have a FL. for that matter i still wouldn't get a neck die over a full length no matter what.

good luck with that 6mm project i think it was.let us know if it has enough horsepower or needs tires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.