7mm STW or 28 Nosler?

I used the 150 NBT in a 280 AI but back in '93-96. Supposedly, this was in their "too soft" phase. I shot several doe antelope, one pronghorn buck, in WY and an Exotic Ram ( in Texas) w/o ever capturing one either! The pronghorn buck was 250 or so, hard quartering shot, left flank to right point of shoulder. He ran into it as he was fleeing my first shot at him running across my front at 100, ha. The does were 60 and 75 or so. In TX I shot a Corsican/Mouflon cross at 50yds, through shoulders, pass through. Granted, I could only get 2950 with accuracy out of its 22" pencil barrel Mod 700 Mtn Rifle. But it was a tough bullet. I loaded the Speer 160 HC for it when my friend bought the rifle from me. He shot a cow elk around 60yds (base of the neck). It was started at 2800, again, with its most accurate load. Seems I only gained 50fps from that 22" barrel. I have always felt 26" barrels are best compromise for handling, yet burn most of the powder. I just saw a tricked out Vanguard in 7mm RM but it was the one with the 24" barrel. If I find a good deal on a Mod 700 I like, a 7mm RM/26" bbl, I plan on having it reamed to either the 7mm Mashburn SM or the 7mm/300, both very much intrigue me. OTOH...there is that Bergara B14 in 28....lol Thanks guys!

Hey B-Dog///what issues do you consider the 7mm STW and the Nosler 28 have? Are you saying the 26" 7mm RM is a more practical way to go? Sorry I took so long to get back to you chief!

MagnumMania in what game have you run the 150 NBT out of a Big 7 into game where you had the separation? Only reason I ask is that in 3 decades of using that combo I've yet to have one stay in any game from elk on down. I'd love to find one
I have recovered them from Sambar deer, mountain hogs and 1 Fallow deer shot in the butt, it was in the brisket. All had separated the core from the jacket.
The most (4 total) were found in our large European mountain hogs, they are very different to our Northern Australia Aisiatic pigs. Weights are often over 100KG.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Looks like I found a Donor rifle. An older Model 700 BDL SS in .264 Win Mag from a local guy. I'm supposed to make the buy tomorrow. When I shoot its barrel out, I will find a 26" factory takeoff/ream to the 7-300WM or Mashburn. Thanks for all the input guys!

Looks like I found a Donor rifle. An older Model 700 BDL SS in .264 Win Mag from a local guy. I'm supposed to make the buy tomorrow. When I shoot its barrel out, I will find a 26" factory takeoff/ream to the 7-300WM or Mashburn. Thanks for all the input guys!
I still really want to make a true 7-300 win mag

I really like my 7mm STWs, but if I had to start over with "super" mags, I'd go with the 28 Nosler. I don't care for belted cartridges, but they were necessary evils. I have a new factory 7mm RM that i am thinking about rechambering to a 28 Nosler. BTW, I am not trashing my STW until the barrel is burned out. I have over $1500.00 tied up in it and I did all the work.

So out of curiosity and i'll probably regret asking this question as i own many "belted" magnums and have no problem with any of them factory or loaded ammo. Now I don't personally load them, my son does for me. Why the negativity around belted mags, i'm genuinely curious, it's not a debate - i'd really like to know why they have a stigma in the shooting magnum world.

So out of curiosity and i'll probably regret asking this question as i own many "belted" magnums and have no problem with any of them factory or loaded ammo. Now I don't personally load them, my son does for me. Why the negativity around belted mags, i'm genuinely curious, it's not a debate - i'd really like to know why they have a stigma in the shooting magnum world.
Here we go....hahahah.

You have no problems with them? Nuff said!!! I'm in the same camp as you @txaggie1 but stand by cuz I feel like this thread is now taking a turn.

Do you have to fire form?
For the STW??
Yes but it's not as much as you think.
8RM brass I just neck down and load, same with 300 weatherby, 6.5x300 weatherby I just neck up.
With the H&H cases is where you need most of the fireforming, but even with those I just get the neck set, COW form, then just load and go, the second time in your chamber is going to get you pretty complete.

For the STW??
Yes but it's not as much as you think.
8RM brass I just neck down and load, same with 300 weatherby, 6.5x300 weatherby I just neck up.
With the H&H cases is where you need most of the fireforming, but even with those I just get the neck set, COW form, then just load and go, the second time in your chamber is going to get you pretty complete.
So you are diminishing usable brass life where the 28 is already done