7mm STW or 28 Nosler?

I wonder if the 7mm/300 Wby is as finicky as my two STWs and that RUM was?
I never had much trouble finding something that works well in my gun nor has my uncle with his. My cousin had an STW at one time and it was a one load only gun. He got rid of it after a lot of frustration.

I have really considered a hydraulic forming die.
I like them. Below is my .338 Thor.
1710547196655.jpeg

L-R
1 - .338 NM (Lapua) virgin brass.
2 - After running through the hydraulic forming die and sizing die.
3 - After being fire-formed from the rifle's chamber.

I never had much trouble finding something that works well in my gun nor has my uncle with his. My cousin had an STW at one time and it was a one load only gun. He got rid of it after a lot of frustration.
I feel like this can happen with any barrel. Some guys never had a problem with accuracy in STW or the 28. Some shoot like garbage. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Which one is equivalent or even a tad "better" (for 160s) than the 7mm Mashburn Supermag? I have handload for simple necking down rounds .i.e 6.5/284, 6mm & 6.5/30-30 and 6mm/284 and afew necking ups, i.e. 6mm/222 Mag; 22/6mm Rem. But never fooled with bushings, two or three steps, neck turning/reaming/annealing, just haven't desired it is all. One reason I never went 7mm/300WM. I love them all, just no time and money, ha. I always wanted a 7mm Mashburn SM even when I got blistering speeds with the 140's and the big 7s.
Rev, not to highjack but, what's your load for 22-6mm. I have a 9 twist , been tough to get it drilled in? thanks

I don't have it anymore, but I used R22 exclusively. I used the 64gr PP for a plinker, coyote round but I settled on the 75gr Swift Scirocco II. I don't remember exactly, its been years, but I want to say 46-47gr? I do remember I was following the article about the .224 Texas Trophy Hunter (22-6mm) which is what I had my Lilja barrel stamped. I'm sorry I can't do better Pard. Mine was an 8" twist. I shot it slow, but often, and it was surprisingly flat and better at bucking the wind than the 220 Swift/55 TB I used before.

By finicky, I meant with the 160 anythings. I even had a new Winchester 70 Classic Sporter STW sent off for accurizing to Hill Country Rifles down in Texas. I never could reproduce the target they sent back, ha, I suppose it was as much my BR Technique or loading practices, but the 140 NBT dialed right in. Drove me to drinking Diet Coke I tell you!

For a big 7mm, 28 Nosler is the easy button: 1) the 28 Nos is shorter than the 7mm STW, so you have more room in the mag box; 2) 28 Nos is backed by a well-established ammo maker with a track record of supporting its cartridges; 3) Lots of factory rifles are available in 28 Nos, not so with 7mm STW; 4) MidwayUSA shows more factory loads available for the 28 Nos than the 7mm STW, meaning the 28 Nos is already eclipsing the 7mm STW; 5) the 28 Nos is a modern design with modern throat dimensions and barrel twist; 6) the 28 Nos is a clean design with no unneeded gimmicks (i.e a belt); 7) Peterson and ADG 28 Nos brass are available off the shelf, meaning high quality brass is easy to find and no fireforming is needed, and; 8) the 28 Nosler runs as fast as any other 7mm you can fit in a standard length action - to get more speed than a 28 Nos, you are gonna have to start jumping through a bunch of extra hoops.

JMHO

Last edited:
For a big 7mm, 28 Nosler is the easy button, plus you can get Peterson and ADG brass for it making the easy button even easier. The 28 Nosler runs as fast as any other 7mm you can fit in a standard length action. To get more speed, you are gonna have to start jumping through a bunch of hoops.
Adversely, the STW button is just as easily pushed. 😄😄😄
With regards to brass you have a point but I haven't had much issue with finding brass for buddy's that shoot STWs.

So you know, a 28" 7 Rem Mag loves 162's at 3200 with Retumbo and 215's. If you go a Lilja or Pac Nor Three groove, you may get a tad more, especially on the Pac Nor.

Prudent to run a Wyatt's mag box on either the 28 Nosler or 7 STW for the additional length. Some reamer designs will not let you get near the lands on a new barrel with the standard Mag box.

Good observations Mr Shin! I'm a "borderline OCD" when it comes to rifles, ha. It takes me a bit to get over a disappointment, and if any rifle I have is "unreliable" ( whether feeding, accuracy, zero stability, etc) I either sell or trade, ha. I had givien some thought of the Bergara B14 Hunter because, first of all, I like the rifle. I've owned a half dozen, but none stuck around. Since they are a Mod 700 Clone, not worried about their magazine length, no knowledge of how close the Lands are to a loaded round. Not being a LRH, I still appreciate the "stretched string" flat shooters. I like the "idea" of the Mashburn Supermag Mag as its not as overbore as bigger rounds. I guess thats why the 7mm/300Wby doesn't do it for me. Time will tell, ha. I have always wanted a 26" 264WM, again, Nostalgia and "less" of a barrel burner than the 6.5/300wby.