7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

They were using a couple of different rifles in that one( the 700 nitro test) though; it's a touch misleading... (Isn't that the same footage as the t-rex one I've seen??)
I've played with a few of the big toys at my local range and they aren't really that bad. A 470 nitro is about like a 12 gauge mag slug, a lightweight(8#) 416 is about like getting hit in the shoulder by a pro boxer, my lightweight 375 (8# scoped) is similar but not quite as bad, a 50 bmg will just shove you around. I think I've played with the Lott and a couple of others but I'm not remembering the rifle types at present; selective memory I guess. If someone's got a big dog and is willing to let me pull the trigger I WILL pull the trigger. If you can drop the hammer on a 8# rifle putting out 4500 #ft you can drop the hammer of a 14-16#er putting out 8-10K #ft. Same recoil velocity; it'll just shove a bit longer. I'd really like to get a hold of a .577 t-rex or other monstrosity just to feel it once.

I'm thinking about re-stocking my 7mm stw from an HS Precision pro series sendero stock to a McMillan M40a or something similiar. If anyone can post their STW with the stock they have, I'd appreciate it. My HS precision stock is nice, but I prefer a thin area as opposed to the thicker palm swell on the HS Precision. I'll be selling the stock thereafter.

I'll post my gun pics shortly. Maybe tonight. I have a stiller predator action, jewel trigger, and Broughton 26" # 5 contour sporter barrel. It's a shooter.

Also, I have a connection for brass and was thinking about doing a group buy, maybe 5000 catridges. Anyone interested in joining in?

Thanks,
Ed
just had STW built on 700 rem. 6.5-20 leupold target with AO , a buddy loaned me 50 brass that I need to return . I am looking for more brass though. keep us posted.
Thanks

Last edited:
just had STW built on 700 rem. 6.5-20 leupold target with AO , a buddy loaned me 50 brass that I need to return . I am looking for more brass though. keep us posted.
Thanks
The bulk buy happened a while ago before I was a member here--- my brass supply has also dried up at present-- the one local shop had the stuff for 35 a bag just a couple of months back, now they are out and only one of three shops has any and the price isn't as great. I've got over 400 brass but all but a hun. have firings on them. I'll be needing brass soon at my current usage rate.

They were using a couple of different rifles in that one( the 700 nitro test) though; it's a touch misleading... (Isn't that the same footage as the t-rex one I've seen??)
I've played with a few of the big toys at my local range and they aren't really that bad. A 470 nitro is about like a 12 gauge mag slug, a lightweight(8#) 416 is about like getting hit in the shoulder by a pro boxer, my lightweight 375 (8# scoped) is similar but not quite as bad, a 50 bmg will just shove you around. I think I've played with the Lott and a couple of others but I'm not remembering the rifle types at present; selective memory I guess. If someone's got a big dog and is willing to let me pull the trigger I WILL pull the trigger. If you can drop the hammer on a 8# rifle putting out 4500 #ft you can drop the hammer of a 14-16#er putting out 8-10K #ft. Same recoil velocity; it'll just shove a bit longer. I'd really like to get a hold of a .577 t-rex or other monstrosity just to feel it once.

I've seen a T- rex in a A-square rifle, I'd like to have fired that one as it was braked. I've shot a few big rifles too, but interestingly enough the one that hurt the most was a pre-64 Sportern weight Winchester M 70 chambered in a .350 Norma Mag and it had a Steel butt plate. I've got short arms and a Thick Barrel chest, so I have to shorten my guns by 3/4" to make them comfortable. This was an unaltered rifle and when I shot the 300g bullet it dislocated my shoulder, I poped it back in and was stupid enough to do it again. Never had a rifle do that before. :rolleyes:

Love shooting 50s they are a hoot!

Dan

I've seen a T- rex in a A-square rifle, I'd like to have fired that one as it was braked. I've shot a few big rifles too, but interestingly enough the one that hurt the most was a pre-64 Sportern weight Winchester M 70 chambered in a .350 Norma Mag and it had a Steel butt plate. I've got short arms and a Thick Barrel chest, so I have to shorten my guns by 3/4" to make them comfortable. This was an unaltered rifle and when I shot the 300g bullet it dislocated my shoulder, I poped it back in and was stupid enough to do it again. Never had a rifle do that before. :rolleyes:

Love shooting 50s they are a hoot!

Dan
The hardest hitting rifle I have at present is my 300 rum weighing in at 9# scoped with no brake and the factory hard pad. When you put a 180 in at full house you can develop around 5000 #ft. I usually keep it to 3300 fps and mid-loads though; I need to find some more I 5010 for it and the stw because that powder is one of the best heavy pill powders out there. I was at 3320 fps with my 30 rum with I 5010 and 180's at least 5 grains down from tested top load. Any guesses as to top load speed??? Most canister powders top at 3300 fps for a 180 in the 30 rum so it won't develop the recoil. I need to play with rl33 and rl50 more in the interim I guess as 5010 is hard to find.

The hardest hitting rifle I have at present is my 300 rum weighing in at 9# scoped with no brake and the factory hard pad. When you put a 180 in at full house you can develop around 5000 #ft. I usually keep it to 3300 fps and mid-loads though; I need to find some more I 5010 for it and the stw because that powder is one of the best heavy pill powders out there. I was at 3320 fps with my 30 rum with I 5010 and 180's at least 5 grains down from tested top load. Any guesses as to top load speed??? Most canister powders top at 3300 fps for a 180 in the 30 rum so it won't develop the recoil. I need to play with rl33 and rl50 more in the interim I guess as 5010 is hard to find.

I load for 2 .300 RUMs and we've been able to get 3400 FPS with 180g TTSX and 180g nosler Accubonds using 99g of Retumbo, 100g is max, but a little too hot with shear marks on the head and slight stiff bolt lift. They'll shoot around 1" and both are 26"bbls one in a BDL Stainless Synthetic and the other is a blued BDL in a Laminate Thumbhole stock.

Never tried the RL-powders here as they are quite a bit more expensive than the Hodgdon powders. When we had a squeeze on the prices in 08 RL-powders jumped quite a bit.

These rifles don't hold a candle to that .350 Norma mag in recoil...

Dan

I load for 2 .300 RUMs and we've been able to get 3400 FPS with 180g TTSX and 180g nosler Accubonds using 99g of Retumbo, 100g is max, but a little too hot with shear marks on the head and slight stiff bolt lift. They'll shoot around 1" and both are 26"bbls one in a BDL Stainless Synthetic and the other is a blued BDL in a Laminate Thumbhole stock.

Never tried the RL-powders here as they are quite a bit more expensive than the Hodgdon powders. When we had a squeeze on the prices in 08 RL-powders jumped quite a bit.

These rifles don't hold a candle to that .350 Norma mag in recoil...

Dan
It's mainly the regular butt-pad on the stock I think-- the thing'll bite you if you let it. Still a 1/2 moa rifle though if you've eaten your wheaties. Plus I think these rounds vary in recoil more based on gas generated by the powder than littler rounds do. You get into the 50 BMG powders and the recoil goes up. Not all will do better velocity though; most 50 cal ball just takes more for the same speed. The three powders that'll beat 3300 fps with a 180 in a 30 rum you can actually get are rl25, rl33, and retumbo.
I don't have a 358 norma but I do own a #1 in 338 win; sister rounds and this one is also 8# scoped(I don't like heavy pipes). The only 35 I own at present is a whelen; I've drooled over a couple of 358 sta's but haven't actually bought/built one yet.

I've got the other problem here-- it's tough to get H for the same price as rl so why would I run H when I like rl better for the most part.

It's mainly the regular butt-pad on the stock I think-- the thing'll bite you if you let it. Still a 1/2 moa rifle though if you've eaten your wheaties. Plus I think these rounds vary in recoil more based on gas generated by the powder than littler rounds do. You get into the 50 BMG powders and the recoil goes up. Not all will do better velocity though; most 50 cal ball just takes more for the same speed. The three powders that'll beat 3300 fps with a 180 in a 30 rum you can actually get are rl25, rl33, and retumbo.
I don't have a 358 norma but I do own a #1 in 338 win; sister rounds and this one is also 8# scoped(I don't like heavy pipes). The only 35 I own at present is a whelen; I've drooled over a couple of 358 sta's but haven't actually bought/built one yet.

I've got the other problem here-- it's tough to get H for the same price as rl so why would I run H when I like rl better for the most part.

I can certainly undertand why you load the Reloader powders if cost is an issue, and if they perform better for you it's certainly a plus.

I don't have any large caliber rifles my self. I wish I had that .358 Norma Mag It belongs to my Old friend and I'd have to fight his kids for it. I have lots of calibers on my wish list, but due to budget constraints I'm limited to 1 rifle per year and I need to get my boys hunting rifles first. I think a .358 STA would be awesome as would other similar cartridges.

What I would truly like to get into, but will never happen, is the .375 Chey-Tac or other similar Wildcats.

Until then, I'll keep playing with what I have. My 7 STW currently is the best rifle I have to go out to 1200yds, so I'll continue to push it further and further until I can get there and become good at that kind of distance.

Dan

I loaded for and sighted in my brother-inlaws 378 Wby Mag. What a killer the rifle spun me slid down my bicep and the bolt handle hit me in tne knuckles on the first shot. I thought maybe I didn't have a good hold. I really grabed it this time. Same thing ouch. Two shots was enough for me.
Brush

Recent Posts