7mm sendero and the 195 berger

YOSEPPY

I'm wanting to shoot these 195's Bergers but idk if the sendero twist would stabilize them the web sight says it's a 1-9.5 twist what do you guys think?

It might accurately group them at closer ranges, but I don't think it will stabilize them properly for LR shooting/hunting. At least, that's the way I understood it, when they were talking about the minimum vs. maximum twist rate that is listed on the bullet box.

This would be a much better question for Bryan Litz to answer, as his knowledge on the subject is FAR superior to mine.

That's what I was afraid of. Now I'm stuck between the 25-06 an the 7 mag. I've wanted the 25-06 for ever but that 195 in a 7mag sounds awesome.

That's what I was afraid of. Now I'm stuck between the 25-06 an the 7 mag. I've wanted the 25-06 for ever but that 195 in a 7mag sounds awesome.

Don't underestimate the 168 VLD's. I shoot them at whitetails out of my 7mmRM. Over 3,100 fps MV, they hit like lightning bolts.

Yeah I was hoping for something heavier. I've got my .264 that shoots the 140's just fine was wanting at least a 180. Maybe I'll get the 25-06 for now an save up to get the 7mm then rebarrel it to a 1-8 twist down the road.

The Sendero will stabilize the 180 hybrid and VLD. A lot of guys use them. The 180 hybrid is the bullet of choice in my 7 RM.

Thanks for the info brentc. I ended up getting the 25-06 first because it was miss priced an I got it 200 bucks cheaper. The 7mm will be next probably after the first of the year

Thanks for the info brentc. I ended up getting the 25-06 first because it was miss priced an I got it 200 bucks cheaper. The 7mm will be next probably after the first of the year

That never happens to me...

What model did you end up getting, the new 700 Long Range?

Yoseppy,

Have you manipulated a ballistics program to compare the 168, 180 and 195 Bergers?

These three bullets fired from a 7 Rem mag will have very similar performance out to 700 yds. The 195 has a slight advantage in drift but not much. Energy is almost identical. The 168 shoots the flattest at normal hunting distances.

I crunched the 168 VLD at 3100 fps, the 180 match hybrid at 2950 fps and the 195 EOL elite hunter at 2850 fps .

at 700 yd @ 4000 ft 59 degrees, 10 mph crosswind:

168 drift 18.1 vel 2337.7 energy 2038.3
180 drift 17.5 vel 2273.6 energy 2065.7
195 drift 16.4 vel 2247.6 energy 2018.8

Your 7 rem mag with factory barrel should shoot the 180s and certainly the 168s. Is it worth the money to rebarrel to get it to shoot the 195 for a 1.4" drift advantage over the 180 at 700 yds?

Just saying.......

Mud no its the sendero sfII. I was looking to get a 7mag but when I saw a brand new 25-06 an 200 cheaper I jumped on it. Still trying to figure out what glass to put on it so it's on layaway so I didn't blow all my cash an that way I can figure out my scope an not go through my savings.

Thank you shooter. No it's not worth the money to rebarrel it just to shoot the 195 I knew that was irrational but didn't stop me from thinking it lol

Thinking about this stuff is great brain exercise. I do it all the time. Always wondering about and considering the possibilities. Cheap entertainment.

In the meantime shoot your 25-06 often and enjoy.

Guys,
To find out what Berger bullet will work with a certain twist rate or what twist rate barrel to buy when re-barreling a rifle. Go to our website and use the TWIST RATE CALCULATOR in the drop down under the BALLISTICS TAB. Be sure to enter the correct or as close to correct altitude you will be shooting at. If it going to be more than one. Use the lowest altitude. An SG (stability factor) of 1.5 or more is what you need. Anything below a 1.2 will in many cases be unstable enough for the bullet to not fly point forward. If your SG is 1.3-1.49 the bullet will fly point forward but the BC is compromised by a certain percentage ( this will be listed for you). What this means ids that external forces will have more affect on the bullet during flight that if the SG was the optimal of 1.5 +.

Guys,
To find out what Berger bullet will work with a certain twist rate or what twist rate barrel to buy when re-barreling a rifle. Go to our website and use the TWIST RATE CALCULATOR in the drop down under the BALLISTICS TAB. Be sure to enter the correct or as close to correct altitude you will be shooting at. If it going to be more than one. Use the lowest altitude. An SG (stability factor) of 1.5 or more is what you need. Anything below a 1.2 will in many cases be unstable enough for the bullet to not fly point forward. If your SG is 1.3-1.49 the bullet will fly point forward but the BC is compromised by a certain percentage ( this will be listed for you). What this means ids that external forces will have more affect on the bullet during flight that if the SG was the optimal of 1.5 +.
thank you I'll take a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.