7mm Savage 111 Upgrade Options...

Grubby

This is my first post here. I have been reading and listening for a long time and now I am in a position where I can start my original plan implementation.

I bought a 7mm Savage 111 when I started getting into shooting. I bought it for longer range shooting after testing the capabilities of my Win 70 Varmint .223.

Before I go any further, I don't have the financial resources to go BIG! I wanted to put together a nice big game hunting rifle that I can go out to about 600 yds. Without spending 3-5k.

So this was a pretty good shooter out of the box. I have had decent success shooting at 100yds and I want to push it out further. It is currently 8.5lbs and kicks like a bear. I plan on adding a limbsaver recoil pad and add weight to the stock. I also am looking into replacing the barrel with an E.R. Shaw pre-fit barrel. I know that people are going to suggest a different barrel. This is what I can afford along with updating the glass a bit from a simmons to nikon.

I am not looking at competition shooting with this setup. I want to be able to hunt big game out to 600 yards.

Do you think adding this barrel will give me the accuracy potential for elk hunting at 600 yds?

I have about 750 to update total for glass and barrel.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Grubby

I am currently in Ohio : *(

We will be doing the elk and deer hunting in Wyoming in the future. We are just starting to buy preference points for future hunts in the upcoming years.

I want time to work my rig out and be as accurate as possible with it.

Thanks for the reply,

Grubby

i shoot a remington sendero . the 7mm is a great choice. you sound like you have a plan. the savage shooters will need to reply.

Rifle Basix makes a good trigger for your rifle I would recommend getting a better trigger. You will also want to look into possibly getting the action bedded, depends upon how it shoots once you get your new barrel on there.

Grubby,

Seems to me that you would be much better served spending a couple hundred bucks to put a muzzle brake on the rifle – like the original 3-port Muscle brake. The Limbsaver is not a bad idea to make it even more of a pussycat. With the brake you don't need a different barrel or more weight on the rifle though if you want to really go 600 yards I'd look at scope in the 6X24 power range so you can "aim small and hit small". That kind of scope will typically add some weight compared to the standard 3X9.

That is a reasonable option. I was hoping to add the weight and get a more accurate barrel at the same time. Is my stock savage barrel potentially as accurate as a shaw? If so, I will go ahead with the muzzle break and the limbsaver.

Also, I was orginally looking at spending another 500 on a nikon scope but the more I research I am thinking a Viper Vortex PST in 6-24 in MOAR. I will just have to save up for another year. That is probably the best investment as I can move it a different gun if I decide I need something different in the future.

Who am I kidding, I will probably just buy a new gun and new scope...Don't tell my wife my plans :cool:

I will add limbsaver and test, add a muzzle break if needed and then the scope.

Thanks all,

Grubby

do you handload? That will be the factor that gets you more results than anything. Also bed the action and float the barrel.

As far as scopes go, I still don't get the 6-20 magnification range that a lot of guys are shooting. If its under 1000 yards, a 3.5-16 or similar will be great and a 2.5-10 still works fine (I use one). going with less magnification on the scope is a $$ saver.

the scope and barrel- are not places i try to save money. especially the barrel. it ends up costing more in loading time and components. if you do not handload then ammo trials ends up costing more.

I would put a new trigger in it and bed the action and a muzzle break. Most savages shoot good enough for hunting if you reload your own ammo. A good scope is a good place to spend your money.

I have probably the exact same rifle and caliber as you do. The only modification I have done to mine is put a better trigger on the rifle which makes a big difference. It shoots very accurately, 5 shots at 100 yards can be covered by a quarter. I have also shot it out to 400 yards with no issues, this is with the stock barrel. I would get a new trigger and better glass before getting a new barrel and see how it does.

Also I do hand load and that helps a lot too.

Corey

I've been a Savage guy for a long time and it looks like you're getting some solid advice. I wouldn't change out the barrel as most Savage factory barrels are easily capable of very good accuracy, a trigger job will help and a decent brake will help a lot with recoil. On my magnums I usually just add a limbsaver slip on over the existing pad. I don't think I'd add weight to a hunting rig because you wont be shooting enough to justify having to lug it around. Good glass and mounts are a must have. handloading will make the biggest accuracy gain for the $$ spent Good luck

I forgot to say that before you add a break, make sure that the rifle fits you well first. I know a lot of guys that get beat up because their rifle has to short of a length of pull.

I would not switch barrels if you don't have to with that budget, I would get better glass, and a new trigger if it doesn't have the accutrigger. and then stock work. My savage shot sub-moa with the factory barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.