Conversion options for Savage 111 - 300 win mag

captainjoe

Found this website a number of weeks ago. I have learned more about rifles in this time, then all the years combined prior. Very helpful resource and it has opened up all sorts of possibilities for me to consider.

I have a Savage 111 300 Win Mag. Can anyone tell me what sorts of calibers would be possible to convert this action to? (i.e. into one of the 338 variants) I am not saying I want to as there is much that I have yet to learn about this caliber before I move on, but for my learning purposes I'm curious.

Take it easy on a greenhorn... no flames please. I know I am a noob, but I am working on that!

Last edited:
That action will take the abuse from about any cartridge but I would limit it to a 338 edge or 338 Allen, even with a 338RUM you will be single loading as none of the high powered rounds will fit in the magazine except the 338sin and its still kinda in the works, its done but components aren't readily available yet. When you decide to swap I'd go 28" 10 twist 338RUM but its all in what you like, the limit to that action is its length.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.