7mm SAUM

JOSH 03

Good evening Gents,

I have been researching the different 7mm cartridges available and I've become interested in the SAUM. I was wondering if it is still relevant and being used? For those with experience with the round what is your take? I know the rem mag will do almost everything the the SAUM and WSM will do and may even out perform in the long run (pun intended) however I do like the idea of the short action. Are there issued with running the high BC 180s in the short action? It seems like the topic of difficulty chambering rounds seems to come up when long COAL and short actions are discussed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

The Rem Mag will outperform either the rsaum or the wsm, especially if those rounds are chambered in a short action when you are shooting 175-180 grain bullets. I see no reason to build one of them over the 7rm, but there is nothing wrong with them either. You may get slightly more rounds of barrel life out of the rsaum with its efficiency. All three of them would make a great hunting/long range target rifle with the awesome 7 mm bullets out there these days. 7rm ammo is in every gun store in America in a pinch, and easy to reload for as well. Ignore the belt it is a non issue.

If you don't care about factory ammo commonality then your best bet may be the 7mm-300wm. It offers slightly more case capacity, std length action with STW performance. Would have the extra grunt if the Berger 195 grain bullet ever happens. If you go 7mm of some flavor get a 1in8.5 twist, or even 1 in 8, unless you want yo shoot 120 or 140 grain bullets. But if you are on this site, why would you mess with those? 162 amax, 175 LRAB, 180 VLDs or 180 hybrids is where to be. I like the 180 hybrid personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.