7mm RUM 168gr berger 605 yrd head shot goat!

bsb

Me and my brother was hunting Goats (Does) and Yotes in Wyoming last weekend.
When it was nearing the end of the the day and the rain was barely falling and the wind was pretty calm (rare) I thought it might be a good time for him to get his goat out of the way so she would cool down nice that evening.
We was on the top of this hill and down below was a buck and a nice Doe laying down, I ranged her at 605 YRDS with the swaro RF, I ask my brother why dont you try her in the head? He said, you want me too? I said Yea! so he set up on our custom 5 leg sticks, he turned the turrent to the proper hash mark,looked thru the 8.5x25 Leupold and as he was getting ready to sqeeze he said I will try her in the eye! I was watching in the swaro spotting scope! he Sqeezed a 168gr berger off at 3280 FPS
Her head went one way and then the other way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I said! I think you hit her in the head! the buck stood up and looked at her as if to say whats wrong with you! some may say Bergers may not be the best for hunting but the way they fly you can thread them into the vital areas (like the head) see for yourself! he hit about 2" low, you can see the exit.
well the fine sausage the old girl made is some fine eating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish I could share some with each of you! [image]
CIMG2273.jpg
[/image]

Congrats, and a great shot!! Nice pic as well! I have seen 2 deer and 2 coyotes shot first hand with the 168g vld out of my 7 RM at 3000fps and they are proving there worth as a hunting and target bullet. They are the most accurate bullet I've shot out of my 7 RM so far.

Im not the one to ask questions, but shooting at 600 yards, aiming at the head, seems to me like stupid un etiqal(sp) thing to do. You are aiming at a target that is maybe 2-3". If your brother would have hit 2" to the left, he would have blown of the jaw bone, nose, tounge etc.. this is the most rediculas post I have EVER seen on this web page.

You are trying to do stunts on a living beeing..

noman, if, if, if, if you dont hit any animal in the kill zone it may run off and die or be crippled! you better stick with the grocery store, and ask how ethical your meat has been treated in the stockyards! I thought this picture might be a little gory.
Yea it could have been up, down,left, right or whatever, it wasn't!
same as a shoulder,lung,heart or whatever shot,IF IF AND IF AGAIN. Its called long Range hunting, IF we had not the
confidence in this shot and the equipment or IF the wind
had been blowing we would not have tried it.Ok there was a long range discussion on here about an elk that was shot
900+ yards, this thing could go on and on so I will end it here and say read something on another sight like how to make cookies and be happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this picture might be a little gory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naaaww ! just right ,a little red always makes a better pic( read that somewhere written by real photogs )

Head shots are actually not a bad sporting proposition , either hit ( kill) or miss ( then you get to shoot again. I* have made head shots from in the middle to tip of nose , doesn't matter the shock is so great they can't go anywhere . You may have to cut a throat now and again though .

If one takes a shot at animals at extended range he is "stunt " shooting by definition .

Long range hunting , it is what it is .

Jim B.

I try not to take exception to the way anyone legally hunts. However, when I read your post the first thought that entered my mind was that your story, and more so your picture, are just what the antis love to use against us.

No flame - just my gut reaction to the post

By the way - **** good shot

Your right Varmit! It would not suprise me to see in the future where hunting will consist of a pen and a licenced agent or a trained animal harvester that will
do the harvesting (not killing)for you.
I will be careful with any more post.

Thanks

What is the problem here? Shoot it in the head and it is DEAD. I all my days I have never seen anything shot in the head not drop on the spot, no matter where it was hit. I shoot everything in the head unless it has a rack on its head that I want to keep. The only thing I have had run away is a Whitetail shot a little to far back on a quartering shot with my Savage muzzleloader at 230 yards. I still have not forgiven myself for not shooting her in the head. Then she would not have run off.

Fantastic Shot!
Thanks for pointing out the detailed preparation and windless conditions that went into making it happen. That gives proof of a calculated act that performed as expected. This was not some irresponsible barrage of flying lead. So IMHO your story reinforces the credibility of our sport.
Dave

Thanks 6mm and mountain, Me and brother has spent a lot of money on Equipment and componants let alone the time on the back porch
(I have a 670 yrd range at my house and the shooting
bench is on the back porch)

Norhman, this is what happens when a bullet hits an animal, a lot of blood comes out. This is a hunting site and sometimes bloody hunting pics are shown, if you don't like it, go to another site.

Roygeterdone, awesome shot and great pics! Don't let a couple of people get you down. When you shoot a living animal, blood is going to come out. Sometimes, I think PETA and the Left wing freaks have people watching this site. These people who don't like hunting pics and think long range hunting is wrong, need to go to another site and keep their comments to themselves. Once again, great pics and awesome shot.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.