1005 yrd wiley (not a head shot)

bsb

Me and Brother was hunting wiley yesterday when after 4 unsuccesful spots we was on our next to last spot.
Brother was screaming on the sceery cotton tail call
when out of no where, there he is (Wiley) at 197
yrds he gets the shot since he spotted him, the 7mm flattend him (after a tail spin)behind the shoulder.
Brother started calling again (why not) we seen nothing else so we stood up and started glassing when we spotted 3 wileys going kind of away and to the right at 1200 yrds well we set up and one wiley laid down at 1240 yrds I turned the scope and held about 3' left (for wind)
and told bro to watch carefully
I unleashed the 300 rum and it hit just to the right of wiley,he started streaking out of there, well the other
two was swinging a big circle at about 1100 yrds.
one of them stopped and it was brothers turn,he left the 7mm loose and hit right also (about a foot)
well wiley came to 1014 yrds (a lot closer than 1240)
I cranked the turrent,held about 5' for wind and let the 168 berger out the stack at 3300 fps,I said what happened?
He said! nice shot dude, he dropped like you hit him in the head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif We ranged him several times while he was laying there (we could just see his white belly) one was 1015 one was 1008 and one was 1005 so we called it 1005 yrd
Ok he said,we leave our guns here you get your 1005 dog I will get my 197 dog and will come back for the guns and get the truck, you meet me way down at the fence line. The dog was a big male, the berger went in between the shoulders
and came out the ribs (I guess he turned during flight time
because he was brood sided when I shot and brother did not notice him turning)
Ok,I will stop now, I did want a 1000 yrd plus wiley this year and it happened. Was that a bad thing to want?

Roygeterdone

Sounds like you had a really fun time and got some great experience shooting longrange under tough wind conditions. I think that it is that type of shooting that teaches you way more than you can get from shooting paper all day (paper is good so don't get me wrong).

Congratulations on breaking 1K. I wanted to break 1K on my trip but just kept coming up short (by 32 yards). A coyote is a pretty small target compared to deer and elk which makes it a really good shot.

On the negative side, we are going to have to send someone out to visit you and whack you with a stick for not taking any pictures.

Buffalo, those coyotes can be hard to handle at times like you say, and there is nothing like the real thing, like moving the stix on rough ground, wind, trying to see wiley in the scope or binos, things are happening fast, etc (because you cant see him with the naked eye that far unless he is on snow or sun is just right)
It was a great time, that was #11 wiley with the 300 this year I shot one a month or so ago at 450 yrds looking straight at me and you know how wide they are face on. (not much)
Brother had the record shot dog this year at 780 yrds.
He said that will give him some incentive to get out more.
(I think my record wont last long with brother)
I did not have a camera in my pocket like i normally do but when I got to the truck we did take a couple pics of both the dogs but thought I better not post it, brothers dog had a not so pretty hole in it! (I may post it later my camera cradle is at work) With only 32 yrds short Buffalo its just a matter of time before you break 1k,
It is a two man job pretty much to do that and a lot of fun
tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks for the comments

Nice shot well done that is what we are here for the good thing about small game with big calibres is you can hit them in a fair percentage of the body and it is lights out because of the large amount of energy so if you hit they are usualy dead straight away or you miss their is not usualy much in between..
Good Shooting Well Done

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.