7mm RM Bullet for Long Range Hunting

jstanton

Just curious what everyone is using bullet wise for long range hunting out of their 7mm Rem Mag, let's say under 1,000 yards?

Finding out that mine really likes the Berger 180gr VLD Hunting bullets. Haven't hunted with this combo yet though.

I have a Tikka T3x that shoots the 190 Berger hybrids very well. Was heavy for class, but was one of the only bullets I could get, and has turned out to be pretty impressive. Has shot well out to 900, haven't shot past that yet.
Norma Brass
70gr RL 26
REM Magnum Primers
.005 off
2946fps average

I
If your rifle likes the Berger 180 VLD Hunting bullet, just go with it. Mine prefers the 168 Berger or Nosler AB 160. It likes Hammer Hunters as well. It depends on your intended game as well.
I tried the 168 bergers and could not get them to group very well no matter seating depth. The 180s fell into line pretty quick. It shoots the 175 ELDX pretty well too.

Intended game would be mule deer and elk with the occasional whitetail or pronghorn thrown in there. Oh and as many hogs as I can shoot! Darn things are everywhere here in East Texas!

Just curious what everyone is using bullet wise for long range hunting out of their 7mm Rem Mag, let's say under 1,000 yards?

Finding out that mine really likes the Berger 180gr VLD Hunting bullets. Haven't hunted with this combo yet though.
180 gr VLD's are an excellent choice

Most of my shots in Texas tend to be less than 100 or 150 yds so I'd also consider what the terminal performance of any bullet would be at the muzzle velocity.

For the 180 VLD in 7RM, I would expect it is leaving the muzzle < 3000fps in which case I would be happy to take it hunting.

Maybe work up some Accubond or similar loads and compare their handiwork on hogs at short distances and see what that gel test tells you.