7mm long range bullet

shortshooter

Starting to strech my shooting ranges out and am new to this forum. I'm using a Remington short action 40x (single shot), and it's in 280 rem chamber.

Need to know what bullet weights and construciton I need for taking my rifle to long ranges. What do you all recommend?

I plan on hunting with this rifle and would like to shoot bullets that could be used effectively on game.

Shot some factory Hornady 139gr. a friend gave me. Mounted a scope and sighted in. Shot at 100yd and got essesntially three shots in same hole. This is childs play compared to what I have seen on this forum. I am ready to start taking my ranges farther out, and need to know which bullet weight is better for long distances.

I'll let you know that I will not chuck these bullets at game without lots of practice and training. I am planning to take a class offered by Shawn Carlock, and hope to enroll soon. My intent is to become a true rifle shooter with real skill, like those on this forum.

BTW. I met Mr. Carlock, looked over my rifle, and can say that he seem to be an honest fellow. He never tried to sell or pitch me on anything, only what would work. He explained that my rifle had decent rings which would work, and examined my rifle's bedding, and opined that is was fine enough for me. My setup is good enough to get started, and I thank him for being honest about that. I may upgrade my scope (Super sniper in 10x), but I would rather spend the money I have on one of his classes for now.

What are your opinions on the bullet weights and makes for my 280?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you all recommend? <font color="blue">The heaviest , highest BC bullet that gives the highest velocity. Probably something in the Ballist Tip or Accubond line. </font>

Shot at 100yd and got essesntially three shots in same hole. This is childs play compared to what I have seen on this forum. <font color="blue">Child's play! Yeah, you bet. You're out doing me and I'm a legend in my own mind. LOL </font>

I am planning to take a class offered by Shawn Carlock, and hope to enroll soon. <font color="blue">Which is a good thing. Probably the best investment you can make though its gonna cost you $ later (tisk tisk). Jeez, you'll get to thinkin' better is further and further is better and THERE AIN'T NO CURE!!! </font>

He never tried to sell or pitch me on anything, only what would work.<font color="blue">The good ones are that way. </font>

I may upgrade my scope (Super sniper in 10x), but I would rather spend the money I have on one of his classes for now.<font color="blue">The SS ain't all that shabby. When I went from the 270 Win to the 270 AM I just upped to a 16X SS. Just clean the turret o-rings and lube w/silicone and insure that you can feel the clicks even in super cold weather and you're good to go. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Good shootin' and Have fun.

if you can I would shoot a 162gr. amax or the 160 accubond. i dont know if these bullets are factory loaded or if it is handloading only. even though the amax is a match bullet they work awesome on game.

Hornady makes a 162gr. SST. Are they decent to use, or just go the a-max route?

Will be ordering my inclinated base for scope. If I use these heavier bullets do I need a 20 moa or 30 moa base. Remember, I want to shoot as far as I can with this 280. Will be used for varmints and plates long ways off. Game will be at closer ranges than the vermin.

Shawn says with base I'll be able to get up to 1200yds. This would be great for the vermin and shooting some plates I'm making up. Suggestions?

shortshooter,

I'm currently experimenting with the Berger 168-gr VLD
bullet (BC: .643) in my 280 Rem, M70, w/24" Pac-Nor barrel. I expect to achieve 2700-2800 fps MV. Know more in a couple of days when I get to the range and chronograph and test the loads for accuracy. I'm working with IMR 7828 &amp; H 4831, RP
cases, and Fed 210M primers. If I can't get there with the RP cases, I'll switch over to WW cases and see if that helps. This rifle already produces 2,800 fps MV with the Barnes' 160-gr TSX, so it should be close.

Re the Berger VLD bullet and hunting. I've seen a number of different tests conducted with this bullet fired from magnum cartridges at short ranges into different mediums, including meat and bone. The Berger bullet holds together and provides
excellent penetration. The accuracy is also excellent.

It does NOT perform like a Sierra MatchKing when it hits a game animal.

[ QUOTE ]
even though the amax is a match bullet they work awesome on game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The manufacturer also recomends these bullets for the purpose of hunting. At least deer sized critters. They dont recomend them for bigger game. From the results I have seen in my own hunting and that of others, they are an awesome deer and wolf bullet. They also expand at lower than average velocities which makes them great for LR hunting.

On a side note, with the right velocity, the AMAX's can have an outstanding BC as well.

If you plan to use this rifle on deer size games, then an Accubond or Ballistic Tip will be your ticket. 140 or 150 will be an ideal weight for this caliber. A slow burning powder like IMR 4831 or the Hodgdon equivalent will be perfect for this round.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll try the sst and the Ballistic tips in my 280. Being realistic, how far can whitetail be taken with the 280. Shawn had mentioned after 1000 it runs out of steam. So what does this mean in distance on little game like w/t deer? I know elk are another game altogether so I would even ask about that.

What's the take on usable range for game? Remember I won't try until I'm certain to make the hit and have taken training, and lots of shooting. Want to be responsible and not a slacker.

Thanks

Hey Shortshooter, welcome to the game.

I worked up a load a few years ago using the Hornady 162gr SPBT bullet which shot extremely well. Problem is somewhere through the years that data hid and is doing a great job of staying that way.

I am currently working with it again and am using the same bullets, along with the A-Max. I just want to get something up and running that I can shoot the thing with.

Either of the bullets your looking at will work but the heavier will provide better downrange energy, and buck the wind better. I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 2850 with the load I was using, and getting one hole groups at 200yds. I never really tried it out much after developing the loads as I had other things I was also playing with at the time.

Good luck with yours,

shortshooter,
I've set my maximum hunting range between 500-600 yds. Plenty of horsepower and energy to let the bullet do it's job. I'm not particularly fond of the Nosler BT bullet or SMKs, as I've experienced these bullets disintegrating on impact using standard cartridges/velocities at ranges around 100 yds. Jacket separation at the point of impact leads to bloodshot meat, but fails to reach the vitals and make a clean kill. Even at ranges beyond 300 yds, launched from magnum cartridges, often produces the same effect.
At 540 yds, I have no problem dropping the rifle silhouette
Ram all day long using a Barnes 150 gr TSX on top of H4831,
from my 280 Rem. Accuracy is excellent! A problem comes up with the wind, especially above a 10mph, which moves the lighter bullet 6 inches or so.
If you opt to try the Barnes bullet, and follow the loading instructions that come with the bullets, my load is H4831,
RP case, Fed 210M primer, OAL: 3.30". My load chronographs
(five shot avg) 3000 fps MV, and is completely safe in my rifle, and still get around 7 reloads per case.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.