Most accurate long range hunting bullet

bbradford71

Hello All,

I am attempting to work up a load for my 300 WSM, I have discovered that my gun just doesn't like barns bullets, what is the most accurate long range hunting bullet out there?

In the rifles I've shot if they didn't like an Accubond they had serious problems, for some reason they shoot real well for me. The Gameking would be next on my short list.

there never is just "one" bullet for all guns. It depends on what your gun likes.

Bergers, JLKs tend to be as good as you can find for an out of the box bullets.

JLKs are J4 jackets so quite good for hunting also.

Accubonds, Sierras, Hornady SSTs, Interlocks all work well in the right combo for many guns.

BH

Hello All,

I am attempting to work up a load for my 300 WSM, I have discovered that my gun just doesn't like barns bullets, what is the most accurate long range hunting bullet out there?

There are quite a few good "Hunting" bullets available and you will just have to see which
one your rifle likes.

I use a lot of ballistic tips and Accubonds with good success. The ballistic tips work well at
extended distances (500 yards+) and the accubonds do well at all distances if driven
fast enough(They are a little tougher than the Ballistic tip).

There are more accurate bullets but they are for paper and don't always give me the results
I want.

J E CUSTOM

Ballistic tips do really well. They have the reputation as the most accurate hunting bullet. The Accubond is a ballistic tip with a bonded core essentially/generally speaking.

In one of my rifles, the 180 accubond has been stellar, especially when pushed fast. In another, the 150 VLD has exceeded all expectations, in yet another, the 150 btip has produced 4 one hole groups with 3-4 shots at 100 yards.

Despite all of my different bullet experience, in all hunting situations that I've been in, if I had to choose only 1 make of bullet, It would be the Accubond.

give the amax range a try ? they are especially good at long range , i use the 6.5 140 in my 260 the 168 308 in my 308 and the 208 in my 300 rum never had a problem that wasn't down to me not hitting the right bit !

My .300 WM loves 180 Accubonds, and my .257 Weatherby Mag loves 117 Sierra Gamekings. Both will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. Actually the .257 Wby shoots better than that!

RH

Last edited:
My WSM does not like 180gr accubonds as far as I can tell but I had great groups with all the other bullets I have tried so I did not waist much time on them. My tikka likes the 180 ct ballistic silvertip (also a nosler,but cheaper) and the berger 190vld.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.