7MM Rem cases corrosion

I decided to reload some 7MM Rem cases that I had tumbled (Dillon tumbler with Dillon polish) and then stored in 50 round plastic storage cases neck down about a year ago. When I opened them I found about 80% had this corrosion on the neck. I tried using 400 steel wool but it did not remove it.
Thoughts?
I expect I will be tossing them. Right?
Out of curiosity, I would try and duplicate the tarnish/corrosion ,( whatever it is), by applying the ingredients used in the tumbling process and letting them sit for a time. If successful, I would know what not to do in the future.

I would have to seriously consider using any of the chemicals that have been mentioned on my brass.

You did the right thing with the steel wool, but I would have used 4/0 instead.

I have dealt with a lot of things over the 55 years that I have been hand loading.

I started in the early days using 4/0 steel wool to polish my brass in conjunction with an electric drill to act as the spinner. I got very good at it before I made my first tumbler.

I doubt that your brass is "injured". If you feel safer by loading down to see if the brass has been compromised, then good for you. Just load them stout enough to seal the chamber with the brass and not get sooty cases.

What was stored in the plastic boxes before you put these cases in? That is such a smooth black corrosion, Not like the Green Gook ammonia, vinegar or certain leather processing chemicals I have dealt with. Looks very much like brass exposed to black powder, Burned black powder or a Sulphur component.

Liver of Sulphur mixed with water is used to age or blacken brass. Sulphur components seems to eat deeper into brass than just the surface.

By chance could those cartridge boxes have at one time held fired Black powder shells like 45-70 Gov..
Or been in the path of a Black Powder spilling, From filling a powder horn or loading Black powder shells.
That may explain why it is just on the neck where they contacted the bottom of the shell box.

When I am done with my brass, whatever it is that I'm doing, I tumble in dry media treated with car wax. You will never have this problem again and the wax will prevent a chemical bond between the bullet and the case neck
Not to hijack... but what brand of car wax are you using? (I assume you are applying it to dry un-treated media right?)

I am prepping some brass to load up a bunch of hunting ammo that will probably stay loaded for several years as I shoot through all of it and really wanting to focus on not getting stuck/welded bullets.

Not to hijack... but what brand of car wax are you using? (I assume you are applying it to dry un-treated media right?)

I am prepping some brass to load up a bunch of hunting ammo that will probably stay loaded for several years as I shoot through all of it and really wanting to focus on not getting stuck/welded bullets.
Also interested in what type of wax you are using?

Years ago I bought a bunch of 7.62 MG brass, a lot of which had the black staining on the case body. Loaded and shot it, but never thought much of the staining other than it was ugly. Wouldn't come off in my tumbler (then walnut vibratory), took hours in wet stainless pins to finally get it cleaned up.
The only time I have been concerned with any discoloration on brass is when I see the red rust, which is the zinc being leached out of the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.