7mm Rem cases stick in RCBS fl die

matemike

Hello all,

I recently deprimed and full length resized some 7mm Rem cases. 50 to be exact. Different kinds of once fired brass; some Hornady, some Norma, mostly Federal. All 50 of the brass pieces fed smoothly into the reloading die and the primers came out easily. But every one required a little "pop" to get back out of the die. The cases were all lubed well and I even used what I considered excess lube but still the cases would not just slide right out. What could be the cause?

Hello all,

I recently deprimed and full length resized some 7mm Rem cases. 50 to be exact. Different kinds of once fired brass; some Hornady, some Norma, mostly Federal. All 50 of the brass pieces fed smoothly into the reloading die and the primers came out easily. But every one required a little "pop" to get back out of the die. The cases were all lubed well and I even used what I considered excess lube but still the cases would not just slide right out. What could be the cause?

I would start by cleaning the inside of your resizing die.
If your mixing case heads without knowing how many times they have been fired that could cause problems also.
Just my .02 worth

I find that to much lube is not a good thing. As already mentioned would clean the die. Are you seeing any dimpling on the neck of the case? Good luck

Hello all,

Clean your die, and don't use too much lube. I usually just run a thin layer when FL sizing. I run my cases over the lube pad once forward, and once back, then size it.

Too much lube can cause suction and block the relief holes drilled into the die body.

This is why I primarily neck-size my brass, then FL resize them after 3 firings. Or, if I get some used brass from someone, or I pick some up at the range, I will FL resize them before loading and forming.

I had this happening and I switched from a spray lube to a pad and the problem was solved.

Cleaning the die is good idea, but I would say it's lack of lube. I always thought I had enough, but after switching, resizing became much easier.

If you start getting dents in the shoulders, then it's too much lube.

Thank you for the replies thus far. I should also mention that the tight spot where the case feels like it has the most tension while being extracted is the last half or quarter inch. Like it's the case mouth having trouble slipping off the forming pin/ball. Does that make sense?

I'll try less lube and cleaning, although it is a brand new die set. Those 50 cases are all that has passed through.

Thank you for the replies thus far. I should also mention that the tight spot where the case feels like it has the most tension while being extracted is the last half or quarter inch. Like it's the case mouth having trouble slipping off the forming pin/ball. Does that make sense?

I'll try less lube and cleaning, although it is a brand new die set. Those 50 cases are all that has passed through.

If you are having roughness when running the expander ball back out of the neck on the down-stroke, then try some Imperial Sizing Wax and stick the case mouth (the bullet end) down into the wax up to where the neck meets the shoulder. Then twist and pull it out. Then take the excess on the case neck and rub it all over the rest of the case with your index finger. That way you get sizing wax on the inside of the neck and all over the brass. Once you do that for about the first 3 brass, you can get away with only doing it every other to every 3rd case.

And if you neck-size, you don't have to rub the excess wax on the rest of the case. Just dip the end and run it through your die. You can neck-size about 5 cases before you'll have to dip another one.

I'll assume you are referring to the 7mm rem. mag case, and with your post I would say it's a case expansion / die issue. A typical die will not size the mag brass just above the belt. You need one of the Innovative Tech dies to get this done.
gary

Similar to MudRunner, I polish up the expander ball and use some lube on a brush to run through the neck of the case. This makes it nice and smooth. Use a qtip to clean the lube out of the neck after sizing. Not sure if that is the issue you are having.

If it's the part where the lever is camming over and you are getting the last little part of resizing done, and there is a lot of tension to get it going, that is the part where the most surface area of the brass is in contact with the die. It's the same spot I would rip the shell holder off of the brass. A little more lube and a good cleaning of the die should cure the issue.

You're experiencing normal bottle neck case expander ball drag. If it bothers you, apply a small amount of case lube to the inside of the case necks.

That's what I did....

I'd take a small nylon brush and roll it across the case lube pad (I had a 2nd one specifically for this..) and just lightly brushed the inside of the neck. It worked nicely and eliminated the sticking point I was experiencing.

I was sure not to have too much case lube on the pad so it was a minimal amount of lube, but enough to make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.