removing green corrosion inside old brass

Cases tend to blow out at thos green corrosion points. I'd recycle the stuff.
I could definitely understand where corrosion would be eating at the metal resulting in a thinner case wall in that particular area.

Why would you even want to keep and try to reload brass that is corroded from the inside. It's only 25 cases???

If they were the last 25 brass cases on the earth I would still toss them and look for a way to modify another cartridge case.
Or don't toss them and keep next to the rifle as a display. That is what I would do.

We have ammo from when my dad was in WWII and will never shoot-just display now.

Can you buy Brass or loaded AMMO for this rifle and is it still safe to shoot?
Flatbow just sit back and think about this Post and answers.

Are you going to shoot this rifle?
Is it accurate to hunt/shoot with or just a family heirloom?

Be safe above all else no matter how much you want or like the rifle.

We have perfectly working firearms almost or more than 100 years old and they are on our walls or in presentation cases.

I will throw a story out related to this.

I fired some old reloaded 300 WM, maybe 15 years old at the time. I helped my dad load these and had fired some over the years so wasn't concerned. Over a few range trips, I used up 1 box. The next time out I moved to another box, same loads, same date on the reload sticker. First one the recoil was higher then I remembered, bolt was hard to open. I had the sense to stop.

When I got home pulled one bullet to see what was up. Green corrosion inside. I pulled all of them, some the powder wouldn't pour out. Once I got the powder out, I put a few drops of oil to deaden the primer. I decapped them all and squished the necks closed with channel locks to make them unusable in case someone ran across them. They went straight to the recycle bin and the powder helped fertilize my landscaping. I pulled apart 3 boxes of ammo from the same reload lot. Some were ok, some were corroded.

I was lucky, but wouldn't think to reload cases with signs of corrosion.

Recent Posts