7mm Mag Norma Brass, too soft?

That's got to be complete bullcrap. Because Federal brass SUCKS. I can only get about 3-4 loadings in my STW with moderate loads, and it expands so bad from thin walls, that it cracks right at where the webbing meets the walls. It's just junk brass.

I have had phenomenal luck with my Nosler brass. 4+ firings and the primer pockets are still nice, and no overswelling or cracking. So, I would be willing to bet it's made by Norma.

No it doesn't. He was a very well respected member here. But, was several years ago.

It is possible that the brass made by Federal for Nosler had different specifications than for Federal's own product line.

You don't hear about Lapua 300win brass being too soft. It was made by Norma for Lapua.

No it doesn't. He was a very well respected member here. But, was several years ago.

It is possible that the brass made by Federal for Nosler had different specifications than for Federal's own product line.

You don't hear about Lapua 300win brass being too soft. It was made by Norma for Lapua.
I think you read my response backwards... I was saying the Nosler/Norma brass is good. And that all my Federal belted brass has sucked.

You are correct though, in that IF it was indeed made by Federal then shipped to Nosler, then it was most definitely built to a MUCH higher standard than what they produce for their consumer ammo.

Their mil-grade stuff is great, which why I use Federal Lake City XM193F ammo for my 5.56 rifles and save that brass. The other cheap .223 brass I normally just stuff it all in a big bag incase I ever need it.

I use Lapua .308 Win brass exclusively for my precision .308 loads.

I just did my first ladder test with my 7RM this past Sunday and have some issues with Norma brass as well.

H1000, 180 Hybrids, CCI 250
66.6 gr. Swipe
66.8 gr. Swipe
67.0 gr. nothing
67.2 gr. nothing
67.4 - 68.2 gr. Swipe

I don't know why I'm getting these signs with so low of a charge. Most people shooting this combo are loading around 69 gr.

What's up with this???

have some issues with Norma brass as well.
Checked out three reloading manuals and these are their Maximim Loads for 175gr bullets and H1000 powder in 7mm Magnum. They were using Nosler, Federal, and Winchester Brass.

Nosler Data 65.5 H1000 175 Nosler
Sierra Data 63.4 H1000 175 Sierra
Hodgdon Data 64.5 H1000 175 Nosler

Ok you say "most people shooting this combo are loading around 69 grains" of H1000 powder but you are getting some pressure signs with lesser charges and it must be the Norma brass right? Besides the original OP was "Norma Brass, too soft?" Well I would suggest you just switch to another brand of brass. If the Norma brass is once fired or new I will buy it from you.

They are showing the ejector mark and or swipe but the primer edges are still very much round. Just wondering if that is a better indicator with this brass?

Personally I don't think it is a brass issue at all. Is the brass full length resized and have they all been fired the same number of times?

Checked out three reloading manuals and these are their Maximim Loads for 175gr bullets and H1000 powder in 7mm Magnum. They were using Nosler, Federal, and Winchester Brass.

Nosler Data 65.5 H1000 175 Nosler
Sierra Data 63.4 H1000 175 Sierra
Hodgdon Data 64.5 H1000 175 Nosler

Ok you say "most people shooting this combo are loading around 69 grains" of H1000 powder but you are getting some pressure signs with lesser charges and it must be the Norma brass right? Besides the original OP was "Norma Brass, too soft?" Well I would suggest you just switch to another brand of brass. If the Norma brass is once fired or new I will buy it from you.

this is very sound advice

I just did my first ladder test with my 7RM this past Sunday and have some issues with Norma brass as well.

H1000, 180 Hybrids, CCI 250
66.6 gr. Swipe
66.8 gr. Swipe
67.0 gr. nothing
67.2 gr. nothing
67.4 - 68.2 gr. Swipe

I don't know why I'm getting these signs with so low of a charge. Most people shooting this combo are loading around 69 gr.

What's up with this???
For a 180gr bullet, most people are NOT shooting 69gr of H1000 out of a 7mmRM. I used to shoot 70gr of H1000 in my 7mmRM, but it was with a 168 Berger, not a 180.

Your powder spectrum seems to be on the opposite end of where you are claiming it should be.

My brass was once fired and only neck sized. I am new to precision reloading and am unsure if wbm is being sarcastic or not. I do have some Win brass, but thought the Norma would give me better results????

I was responding at the same time you were Mudrunner. Am I just loading them too hot? Maybe my numbers were off, but I swore I read multiple people using between 68 and 70 gr. H1000 with 180s.

Not being sarcastic at all....it's just that people assume because they have a particular kind of brass and someone puts a post up that says they are having problems and it must be the fault of that brass. Someone else says oh yeah it must be the brass etc. etc....then suddenly it goes viral and Norma brass becomes "bad brass." What is ignored is the particular rifle being used, loading techniques, bullets etc. That just ain't logical. I love shooting and I really enjoy helping someone who is new to shooting get good information. Especially if they are shooting one of my favorite calibers. It well could be that the problem is indeed brass but there are better ways to determine that than just "assuming" it is because someone said so.

But since you are neck sizing, my guess is that is the problem. In fact, I am about 99.9% positive that is the problem. Since you are new to reloading, ya have to know that many high power shooters do not neck size their brass. They use precision dies and full length resize. Neck sizing is great for extending the life of brass but it has it's own set of problems as you have discovered and at the same time discovered why many use precision dies and full length resize for competition.
Glad to help if I can.

Nice shooting. Ladder target below. The 66.6, 66.8, 67.0 gave me a sub 3/4" group at 390 yds. My best ever! But finding out now that I might be loading them too hot. I will load some up using both win and norma and start low and work up in 1 gr. increments noting where the ejector marks start. Hope I'm not hijacking too bad, but I feel we both have similar problems.

Ladder Test (Medium).jpg

give the win brass a go i did and i am very happy

look at post #19

Nice shooting. Ladder target below. The 66.6, 66.8, 67.0 gave me a sub 3/4" group at 390 yds. My best ever! But finding out now that I might be loading them too hot. I will load some up using both win and norma and start low and work up in 1 gr. increments noting where the ejector marks start. Hope I'm not hijacking too bad, but I feel we both have similar problems.

View attachment 40663

thats it try both and chronograph if possible , the load i use in my Sendero is

rem or win brass cci 250 primer 69g of H1000 180g VLDH Burger at 2960fps

that load works good for me and i neck size 4x then bump the shoulder .

neck sizing is not a problem unless you are loading hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.