7mm brass too short?

You said 7mm, did you mean 7 rem mag? If so, is all the brass fired in his gun or did he buy 1x fired brass from someone else? If not all from his gun, you may have an issue with the belted cases being too large from another guns chamber just in front of the belt-- fix is to either get new brass or use a lw belted magnum sizing die.

You said 7mm, did you mean 7 rem mag? If so, is all the brass fired in his gun or did he buy 1x fired brass from someone else? If not all from his gun, you may have an issue with the belted cases being too large from another guns chamber just in front of the belt-- fix is to either get new brass or use a lw belted magnum sizing die.
Yes I should have been more specific. 7mm Remington Mag. I do not know if this brass has been fired in only his rifle or where it came from. My buddy was stugglling to chamber some rounds and asked if I could fixed this issue. I just figured it was either incorrectly sized brass or the brass needed to be trimmed. Turns out the brass does not need to be trimmed as it shorter than necessary.

Full length size a couple and shoot them in order to start over and get a good measument for his chamber. Then you can size all of the brass to the same shoulder bump (.002"). I wouldnt trim any of them until I knew they were all sized the same and correctly at the shoulder.

Yes I should have been more specific. 7mm Remington Mag. I do not know if this brass has been fired in only his rifle or where it came from. My buddy was stugglling to chamber some rounds and asked if I could fixed this issue. I just figured it was either incorrectly sized brass or the brass needed to be trimmed. Turns out the brass does not need to be trimmed as it shorter than necessary.
I could be wrong, but im guessing this "trouble " brass isn't fired from his rifle.
I had this issue with 1x fired norma brass from gunwerks, used my lw die and fixed the issue.

This was my initial plan. Start over from the start of everything, but how does one determin in this situation what the correct length is since most of them are shorter than the trim to length?
Resize from current length without trimming and check fit in chamber. I have fired cases a little short before with no problem, check fit in chamber after loading again too. I have gotten all the way to the range and had rounds not fit in the rifle before, urgh!

Segregate your cases by size and shoot together if you get to that stage to hopefully help with groups.

If the brass was shot in another rifle, that could be a real problem. I had a guy give me a bunch of brass one time and even after resizing, no dice on chambering. In this case, just start over with new brass.

I bet the cases need more sizing and DO NOT trim the brass that is short, it will grow on the next sizing and then measure them again.
Some rifles cause a bulge above the belt that is difficult to size, I have never had it, but have seen it.
If the shoulder isn't bumped back after the body is sized, the head to shoulder length grows longer, this is probably the issue.
Size a case, chamber it, if still tight, adjust the die IN 1/12 turn in the press, try a NEW case and repeat. As soon as a case chambers with a slight feel on closing the bolt, turn the die IN an additional 1/24 turn, this should be close to .002" bump.
You need a new case each time, otherwise the spring back will change the outcome as the case is work hardened
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

DO NOT FOLLOW the standard screw the die untill it touches the shell holder and back off 1/4 turn, more often than not its to much or not enough.
I've got 2 sets of FL dies i had to take .010 off the top of the shell holder just to bump the shoulders back .002-.003.
Measuring is the only way to set a die up properly.

Last edited:
Check to make sure the primers are fully seated. I had some 7mag cases that the primer pockets grew shallow. Cleaned them up solved my hard bolt closing

Anything that is .042" too short OAL, I would pitch. To be honest, I would pitch it all and start over with good brass if you don't know where it all came from.
My fireformed brass ALWAYS shrinks in the neck length, especially going from H&H brass to ANYTHING else, like 300Bee, 340Bee or 375Bee. The necks shrink by .030" in length on average.
My 22-250AI also shrinks in length, but a couple of sizing sand it's back to where it should be.
I shoot 3" brass in my 3 1/4" 500 Nitro all the time, 3 1/4" brass is virtually impossible to get.
Anyway, it poses no problem unless you torch the barrel, which is not good even with brass the correct size.

Cheers.

My fireformed brass ALWAYS shrinks in the neck length, especially going from H&H brass to ANYTHING else, like 300Bee, 340Bee or 375Bee. The necks shrink by .030" in length on average.
My 22-250AI also shrinks in length, but a couple of sizing sand it's back to where it should be.
I shoot 3" brass in my 3 1/4" 500 Nitro all the time, 3 1/4" brass is virtually impossible to get.
Anyway, it poses no problem unless you torch the barrel, which is not good even with brass the correct size.

Cheers.
500 Nitro? NICE! Would Love to touch one off! That is insane.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts