7mm Chamber Neck Size

merbeau

Hi
I am currently building a long range (1000 yard rifle) in 7mm caliber, using the 7mm SAUM cartridge as the driving platform. I plan on using Norma brass for the rifle. Norma brass seems very consistent for neck size. I need advice on the chamber neck size.

I just purchased a set of Whidden dies including the click die with bushing. According to the directions, the expander can be removed and the neck sized using a bushing. Bushings seem capable of "squeezing" the neck down two to three thousandths of an inch. So if the chamber is cut to where it exceeds the bushing's capability, i.e., the neck needs to be turned?

Should I measure 20 necks and then have the chamber cut 0.002 above the neck size and then neck turn 0.002 and use a bushing 0.002 to 0.003 smaller to obtain a consistent neck tension. Or with good brass not a major issue.

Thanks

Robert

Neck tension and chamber clearance are two different things. You can use whatever busing you want and the loaded round will still be the same when bullet is seated. For a hunting round just get a .318-.319 neck clearance. .004-.005 clearance to loaded round is what I did. More importantly is going to be freebore length.

What you want to do is push a bullet in one of your cases and measure
the outside diameter of the loaded neck. This will also give you a good neck wall thickness for your brass. if you are not going to turn the necks,
add a minimum of .003 thousandths to this dimension for the reamer neck diameter. I would recommend .004 thousandths (.002 on each side)to cover differences in neck wall thicknesses and spring back.

Most chambers have .004 to .006 loaded neck clearance and some dangerous game rifles have .008. If you make the chamber neck clearance .003, you should turn all necks to be sure that it will allow the bullet enough clearance or you may experience excessive pressures.

J E CUSTOM

Hi
I am currently building a long range (1000 yard rifle) in 7mm caliber, using the 7mm SAUM cartridge as the driving platform. I plan on using Norma brass for the rifle. Norma brass seems very consistent for neck size. I need advice on the chamber neck size.

I just purchased a set of Whidden dies including the click die with bushing. According to the directions, the expander can be removed and the neck sized using a bushing. Bushings seem capable of "squeezing" the neck down two to three thousandths of an inch. So if the chamber is cut to where it exceeds the bushing's capability, i.e., the neck needs to be turned?

Should I measure 20 necks and then have the chamber cut 0.002 above the neck size and then neck turn 0.002 and use a bushing 0.002 to 0.003 smaller to obtain a consistent neck tension. Or with good brass not a major issue.

Thanks

Robert
I like to turn all of my necks so I no that will never be an issue with consistency. I am having a 6.5 Saum built now and am using a .296 reamer. I necked down Bertram 7 Saum brass and turned the necks to .014 and with a loaded round they measure .292 leaving me with .004 clearance for expansion. Turning the necks gives you lower SD and better accuracy in my opinion. I also use a Whidden click adjustable FL sizing die with the expander removed and then use a sinclair mandrel die to open it up for .003 neck tension. I use the neck turning mandrel first before I turn the necks as it is slightly smaller.

What you want to do is push a bullet in one of your cases and measure
the outside diameter of the loaded neck. This will also give you a good neck wall thickness for your brass. if you are not going to turn the necks,
add a minimum of .003 thousandths to this dimension for the reamer neck diameter. I would recommend .004 thousandths (.002 on each side)to cover differences in neck wall thicknesses and spring back.

Most chambers have .004 to .006 loaded neck clearance and some dangerous game rifles have .008. If you make the chamber neck clearance .003, you should turn all necks to be sure that it will allow the bullet enough clearance or you may experience excessive pressures.

J E CUSTOM
I have a 7 saum and use Norma brass and loaded round is .3145

Many thanks for all the excellent responses. I should have mentioned this rifle is more for competition (not national but local) than for hunting. I have ordered Lapua 180 grain Scenar L bullet and Norma brass. I have had good luck using the 136 grain Scenar L in 6.5 mm round at 600 yards and their 105 Scenar L in 6mm at 300 yards. I can certainly see how close it comes to 0.3145 and then I can go for the 0.004 clearance.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.