Chamber size??

chain

I am re-barreling my 300 win. At the present time with a factory chamber/factory barrel (Savage) I shoot 210 Bergers jammed into the lands. They shoot very well that way. My question is do I want to have the new barrel chambered with a "standard" size chamber or should I make it larger? The mag box has been extended and I still shoot it has a single shot. The reloaded rounds are too long to fit in the mag. Thoughts? Thanks Guys

I am re-barreling my 300 win. At the present time with a factory chamber/factory barrel (Savage) I shoot 210 Bergers jammed into the lands. They shoot very well that way. My question is do I want to have the new barrel chambered with a "standard" size chamber or should I make it larger? The mag box has been extended and I still shoot it has a single shot. The reloaded rounds are too long to fit in the mag. Thoughts? Thanks Guys

If it works well as is, Just have the standard SAAME chamber installed in the new barrel.

Dies,brass,loads will be close to the same. The barrel and chamber should be much better
than the factory and accuracy should improve.

With the extended mag box and the SAAME chamber you will be able to shoot your favorite
load, and if you are off somewhere and have a problem you can use factory ammo.

If you chose a Tight neck or short throat you can't use the factory stuff and loading
becomes more difficult and time consuming.

J E CUSTOM

Should I make it larger than a factory chamber?

NO !!

The SAAME spec. Chamber Is a Standard chamber. If you make it larger than SAAME
it will eat brass after 1 or 2 loadings because it works it to much.

Buy or have the smith buy a SAAME spec. reamer from Manson, PT&G or Clymer and you
cant go wrong.

For the best results, I recomend that you buy the reamer yourself and keep it after the
chamber job is done. This way you have a brand new reamer for your chamber and if
in the future if you re barrel you have the same reamer and loading is straight forward
for the next barrel.

With a good reamer and smithing the chamber will probably be tighter anyway(Your
reloads may not fit) and the dies will have to be adjusted down a little.

Hope this helped.

J E CUSTOM

Definitely SAAMI chamber specs!

But if you are seating long bullets over the standard COL, you might want to increase the leade.

Build the cartridge you want, but without powder or primer, and send it along with your order. That way the gunsmith can adjust the length of the throat for your favorite round.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.