7mm Bullets

greener280

I am currently shooting a 160 gr. nosler accubond out of my 7mm WSM. It shoots really good for me but when i shoot animals they tend to just punch a hole in them and they run. I am considering shooting 160 gr. nosler partitions instea dfor the knockdown power. Anyone have any takes on the accuracy between these two bullets, or any other opinions.

What ranges have you experienced this at? It sound like you need to try Ballistic tips. The bonded bullets are built that way for max penetration. Even a big mulie probably won't expand the accubond without hitting the near side shoulder bone.
If you're out there a ways, say >400 yds, and don't hit a rib going in you're likely to get a "pencil through" with no expansion.
And despite what you may have heard BTs don't "blow up on hair" as was once reported. They have been engineered by Nosler to be the most effective deer bullet out there. And they work!
No, I don't work for Nosler. And no, I didn't stay at the Bend, OR Holiday Inn Express last night! ;)
Just my 2cents.

Jamie

I am currently shooting a 160 gr. nosler accubond out of my 7mm WSM. It shoots really good for me but when i shoot animals they tend to just punch a hole in them and they run. I am considering shooting 160 gr. nosler partitions instea dfor the knockdown power. Anyone have any takes on the accuracy between these two bullets, or any other opinions.

I have shot two deer, a cow elk, a bear, and a moose with the load so far. The first deer was at 150 and i shot him broadside and punched a quarter sized hole all the way through him. The second deer i shot was at 400 and put the round right behind the front shoulder with the same affect. Cow elk I shot frontal at 100 and same thing as the deer. The bear was at 70 yards and i just sacked him up. The moose was at 200 and i shot him behind the shoulder twice and he went about 30 yards but thats no suprise.

I have shot two deer, a cow elk, a bear, and a moose with the load so far. The first deer was at 150 and i shot him broadside and punched a quarter sized hole all the way through him. The second deer i shot was at 400 and put the round right behind the front shoulder with the same affect. Cow elk I shot frontal at 100 and same thing as the deer. The bear was at 70 yards and i just sacked him up. The moose was at 200 and i shot him behind the shoulder twice and he went about 30 yards but thats no suprise.

And your problem is?

My problem is that both deer and the elk that I shot have ran 60 to 70 yards after being shot. I am a big fan of shooting an animal and killing them where they stand.

If you want them dead where they stand, shoot them through the front shoulders!
You can try the Balistic tips, but they will likely do as much meat damage as a Accubond through the shoulders.

Another option is 162 a maxes.

You are getting the expected bullet performance from the Accubonds. They are engineered to act like the Partition in that they will expand to "about the size of a quarter" and exit. The difference is that they have a polymer tip that initiates expansion on lighter game at lower velocity. They are supposed to open quickly and penetrate deeply which is what they are doing.

If you are on a mixed bag hunt I would stay with what you have. If you hunt deer specifically I would look for something like a BT or the Berger. Shot placement will also help. A high shoulder shot will normally give you the Bang/Flop you are looking for. Just don't miss.

That being said, we're talking about dead animals that you have recovered within an acceptable distance from where they were shot.

Yep. Your experience matches up with mine pretty well. This is what I have come to expect with the 7mm mag. If you need more DRT in your life why not try something bigger? Like a 338 Mag. My buddy shoots one and the elk are very impressed.

Both of us had 300 Win Mags a couple of years ago and the elk were only somewhat impressed. I went to the 700 RM for more manageable recoil and he went bigger and badder. :D

I agree with some of the others. If you are not getting the expansion that you want, go to the Nosler Ballistic tip. Very deadly on deer.

If you want serious bang flops shoot them in the high neck area, they will not move except down! I've been having very good results from the A-Max 162gr from my 284 Win yeah with a broadside shot they will go 30 - 50 yards but that's expected with an exit wound of about softball size for the most part pretty messy and 1 neck shot we'll just not talk about! all I could say was well it's a family related board but it sounded like ship :D Later,

Kirk

Lots and lots of reports of the performance of Accubonds on game and they are quite contrary to your reports. My boys and I have personally killed a dozen mule deer and a few elk with 140-160 gr accubonds in .277 and 284 from 40 yards to 400 yards and have never not had expansion, including a 40 yard shot into neck muscle with no bone. I'm not calling you a liar, I am only referencing 100's of contrary reports. I certainly will call anyone out who says a 140-160 grain accubond out of a 7mm mag at or above 3000 fps isn't enough for any elk or deer. For me most of the time I get a 65% retention mushroom on the farside hide, which works perfect for me. Game is either bang flop or goes less than 50 yards.

My problem was not that the bullet would not mushroom, it does that fine. All the animals I have shot with the exception of the bear has ran a little ways before it died. I have had better expierence with nosler partition dumping game when shot behind the shoulder. My origional quest was about the accuracy of both bullets and not the performance. I have nothing against the accubond, it shoots great and it does kill effectively as well, i am just considering something a little different.

Accuracy and BC are better with the accubonds over the partitions. Everyone I shoot with has dropped the partition and gone to accubonds or bergers. I have witnessed several animals being shot w/accubonds ---- if you shoot through the chest, expect a 50 - 100 yd run-off, hit the shoulder and they go down. I would stick with the accubond and adjust shot placement if you need the drop effect.

Your problem is that you're shooting them in the wrong spot for bang-flop results. I personally am a big fan of the frontal shot if I have it, they drop in their tracks all the time... every time.
If I only have a broadside shot and it is inside 200 yards I'll go headshot, if its farther out I'll go high-shoulder.
I've shot moose in some nasty areas where you don't want them to run into a swamp or down a valley, I wouldn't dream of shooting a moose broadside-vitals in this situation.
The Accubond always works for me when I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.