7mm at 2167 yards

115vld

So one of my SF buddies and I were out shooting out at a mile the other day. He was shooting a custom savage 7WSM and I was shooting my custom weatherby 7RM. he was shooting 162 gr AMAX at 2950 and I was shooting 180 JLKs at 3075. After putting about 10 shots each on the plate at a mile, I said I could hit the plate as far as 2200. He said no way so naturally we end up on the far end of the field 2167 yards from the target. He didnt have enough vertical in his scope to hit at this distance so he spotted me.

I broke out my kestrol and got my conditions into my ballistics software. up 93+2 and right 13+2. Before I got behind my rifle he said I bet $100 that you cant hit it in 10 shots. I said I would do it in 5.

And yes before all of you start calling BS, I am fully aware that my bullet is subsonic at about 1800 yards.

So I get behind my rifle and dial up and over. He calls spotter up...

Shooter up...

Send it... Well the first shot hit just over the target about 2 feet. I reload as fast as I can and send another. Shot 2 hit just under. I send the 3rd shot and dont see anything through my Nightforce. He was looking through my Swaro spotting scope and said he saw the round hit WAY over the plate..I guess that is to be expected at distances like this and your bullet is knuckling through the air.

Well I hold the same place and send shot 4. Roughly 4 seconds later I thought I saw a mark on the plate. I got up and looked through the Swarovski on 60x. Of course there is too much mirage. So we make the 25 minute drive around the skirt of the field. When we get down to the target this is what we saw.....

meandtarget.jpg

Note how my JLK impacted the target sideways!!! A wee bit out of range I would say...
photo.jpg

And this bullet was found sticking out of the ground right below the target almost sticking perfectly up and down in the ground.

dirt.jpg

This is my longest shot to date and hope to extend it soon with my bro's 30-378!

2167yards with a 7RM, very impressive! that sideways bullet smack gave me a good luck, considering tumbling bullets, they seemed to still be pretty accurate.. awsome shooting!

Yep I was surprised but knew I could do it. I was really amazed at the fact that the bullet I found in the ground was so close to being 90' to the horizon!!

Roughly how much up elevation were you? I would like to compare to my 284Jazz. My Jazz is at 53moa at just under 2000yds. 189Bob c. bullet at 3200fps.

Brent

it is a 338 norma mag necked down to a 7mm with a 30 degree shoulder. We were using 97.2 of us 869 with a 189 Bob C. bullet with a extreme spread of around 7fps. 308 nate is the smith, he also played a major(like all of it) roll in the development of the loads. We also were playing with 98grs. of us869 and 180bergers. We didn't get alot of playing with it since we were having problems(modifying since nothing available at the time) with the shell holder and collet to trim cases. It was relatively new and there wasn't alot of stuff out there for the new norma cases. I haven't played with it since because I had a archery hunt booked and was practicing every spare minute.

Oh yeah great shooting!! I have a 7wsm match also, next time me and Nate shoot way out there I will take it with.

Brent

Your so-called 'hit'....WAS AN ACCIDENT!!

If you're going to shoot at that distance.....shoot a round that's capable of maintaining STABILITY!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.